Pathology report -- signs of CIS

13 years 6 months ago #34349 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic Pathology report -- signs of CIS
Kimberly,
I too was "wigged out" when hearing the words "CIS is present". After posting on this site, and getting a lot of encouragement, I did research, second opinions,sent slides off to JH, and started BCG - 6 week course and Maintenance schedule.
Here I am, three years out being cancer free :laugh: BCG did it's job - and so far so good!
Good luck to you, and please keep positing so we know how things are going!
Nancy

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago #34341 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Pathology report -- signs of CIS
When I had my recurrence of CIS, it was not seen in the cysto. Found out because of the cytology. It can be only a cell layer thick and invisible (at least to white light).

CIS is a nasty bugger but the good news is that BCG is especially good at getting rid of it.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 6 months ago #34340 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Pathology report -- signs of CIS
It was probably there during the first TURB as most uro's use white light and haven't progressed to blue light which will detect CIS......
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1464-410x.1999.00917.x/full
Very sneaky CIS
pat

13 years 6 months ago #34338 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Pathology report -- signs of CIS
It is not unusual to miss CIS...it is not a "tumor" as we usually think of it, but more like an irritation/rash. My first TURB found papillary, but nothing else other than some undefined areas of "redness." The second TURB (done partially because of the uncertainty) definitely showed CIS. Have completed the intial and maintenance BCG and am doing GREAT.

Good luck to you. This is very doable.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

13 years 6 months ago #34336 by Kimberly
Replied by Kimberly on topic Pathology report -- signs of CIS
Thanks for the pep talk!

Yes, it was my 2nd TURBT. I was hoping I could avoid BCG -- my doctor may have scared me a little with his doom and gloom about long lasting side effects. As you said, Mike, that is now moot as it is now surely going to happen.

I'm still on the post-op Cipro and feeling kind of loopy, but next week when things are mostly normal again, I'm going to the hospital to sign the necessary releases and get my slides sent out for second opinions. My guess is that a second opinion on the slides is probably more critical than a second opinion on the diagnosis.

The thing that is wigging me out more than anything is the presence of CIS this time around. Could it develop over the course of six weeks? The slides from the first TURBT didn't show any CIS.

My consulting work isn't happening until the first week of November, so I am really looking forward to it. Based on what the doctor said about waiting 8 weeks to fully heal before starting BCG, it looks like that will happen in early December. At least my birthday will be BGC-free, but Christmas may not be so much fun.

13 years 6 months ago #34332 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic Pathology report -- signs of CIS
Kim I was initially dx with a large 4cm TA low grade tumor in Nov 2007, day before Thanksgiving. Underwent 6 weeks of BCG with little to no side effects. My first follow up in April 08 one opinion showed Focal CIS others opined everything from displaysia to clear. I have now had an additional 12 BCG, (3 week maintenance protocol) treatments and have been clear for over two years. The treatments do now have a somewhat rough side effect but in 2 days I am back to normal. BCG has pretty good results with CIS.

Good Luck Joey

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne