Reoccurrence & TURBT 2/2017
BCGx6 4/2017
BCGx3 7/2017
TURBT 10/2017
Gemcitabine X6 12/2017
Cytology negative 4/2018
Cytology negative 8/2018
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nicke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 7 months ago #51784 by Jfoutz
Replied by Jfoutz on topic BCG and septic systems
I'm sorry, the video on Dr. Lamm is on the BCAN site, Inspire.
My apologies.
Janice

Hematuria 4/2016
TURBT 5/2016
BCGx6 7/2016
BCGx6 4/2017
BCGx3 7/2017
TURBT 10/2017
Gemcitabine X6 12/2017
Cytology negative 4/2018
Cytology negative 8/2018

7 years 7 months ago #51783 by Jfoutz
Replied by Jfoutz on topic BCG and septic systems
I found an interview with Dr. Lamm on this site if anyone wants to watch it. He and another doctor were actually laughing about the Clorox protocol. He said in 30 years there has never been a case of anyone getting sick from this. He stated "that is still in the BCG insert? There are much worse bacteria in our toilets." Just thought I would pass that along. BTW, I still follow the procedure, just in case. Lol
Janice

Hematuria 4/2016
TURBT 5/2016
BCGx6 7/2016
BCGx6 4/2017
BCGx3 7/2017
TURBT 10/2017
Gemcitabine X6 12/2017
Cytology negative 4/2018
Cytology negative 8/2018

7 years 7 months ago #51781 by jude
Replied by jude on topic BCG and septic systems
this is the solution that I arrived at. if anyone finds a problem with it let me know. for six hours after treatment I pee into a container rather than the toilet.
I then add the bleach to the container at the end of the 6 hours. the property I live on is over an acre of land and I then dump the contents at the back of the property.
i have been told that bleach is also not good for the environment ( although i doubt as bad as the BCG bacteria). after doing some research I found a source for something called "bleach-stop" which neutralizes the bleach. Its actually sodium thiosulfate and can be purchased on websites dealing with dying fabrics. I add a 7 0r 8 tablespoons to the container before dumping it. I also purchased a bleach test kit and have verified that this amount of bleach stop completely neutralizes the bleach.

13 years 4 months ago #35155 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic BCG and septic systems
My husband has been a general contractor for thirtyfive years and has put in and fixed more septic systems than he'd like to remember !

How many of you when you clean dump your cleaning solutions down the drain or out the door ? As soon as he starts on a messed up septic s. he can tell you what cleaning product you favor, Pinesol, Mr. Clean, antibacterial soaps etc. He can also tell you if you have a garbage dispoal, or just dump "alittle grease" down your drain. Oh and he loves the little bleach tablets people use because the bleach works on the rubber washers and toliet stuff and he makes money fixing leaking toliets.

He has pulled out alot of stuff out of lines, pampers ,panty hose etc.
If you havn't had your septic tank pumped for years you already have a problem you just don't know it yet.
We worry about the bleach with bcg but don't give a thought to the bucket of pinesol we dump into the system.
I always dump cleaning water outside it keeps the peace in my house. lol
He said if the tanks pumped and you don't dump a bunch of other cleaning stuff in it you should be ok with the bleach. If it makes you feel better dump some ridx in it. Rocky

13 years 4 months ago #34769 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic BCG and septic systems
Mike I did research and talked to several septic people about this several years ago I meant to write and article that I never got around to. I worked as a Realtor for over 10 years in a rural area and know more about septic systems than I ever wanted to know.

Here is the bottom line a little bleach is not a problem. People with septics do a couple of loads of laundry a week all the time and do not float their systems, it is a a question of volume. Following BCG most people have urgency and frequency. I can remember having to go every fifteen minutes or so on the first day as treatment progressed. At a cup at a time a gallon of bleach could be used or more in a day. If you did that every week for six weeks it could have an impact, particularly if you have an older system that is not that healthy.

If you live in a house with more than one bathroom it is a good idea to say that this is my bathroom for the day and clean the heck out of it before anyone else uses it. If not clean before someone else uses it.

Bottom line I do not know of anyone catching anything from someone undergoing BCG but you have to be careful to keep it that way.

And as far as septic systems go,talk to a septic professional and ask them how much bleach is too much bleach and what you should do regularly to maintain it to keep it healthy. No one needs a big bill and a soggy yard on top of bladder cancer.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne