BCG ongoing

13 years 8 months ago #33069 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic BCG ongoing
Ken,

Have a great time with your granddaughter!

I hope you never have to make that decision....but if you do, you will be ready and be well armed with lots of information.
I found it better to ready way ahead of time. That way, when I did get a high grade recurrence, I had already decided on what my course of action was going to be ahead of time and just proceeded to execute the plan.

Kind of takes the shock and awe out of the situation if you're prepared. I had certainly hoped it wasn't going to happen, but when it did, I just took care of business.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #33068 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG ongoing
Ken,

All good news from you. I am about 2 years further down the road as you may remember from some of my posts. I feel you will do fine. I also have accepted the fact should I ever need an RC I am prepared for that also at MD Anderson thanks to everyone's reserach and comments from this board. Eventually you will put this in the past and go on with your life.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

13 years 8 months ago #33058 by Kenneth
Replied by Kenneth on topic BCG ongoing
Mike,
What I was trying to say was that I had finally accepted the fact that I do have cancer and was ready to move ahead with my life. Mike, you and the many others that have had an RC and have continued to live life to the fullest are an inspiration to all with this disease. I hope if I am faced with that situation in the future I can be as strong as ya'll! Well I'm taking my granddaughter on her first fishing trip this weekend so I gotta go.
See Ya,
Ken

13 years 8 months ago #33055 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic BCG ongoing
Ken,

Good for you. Glad to hear that you are feeling about things and that your doc (at a top bladder cancer center) says things are going well. <<I point out the top doc thing for those that read these boards who may want to listen to a local uro who says something like that and they shouldn't listen to that without a 2nd opinion from a top doc.>>

Let me assure you however, that if it ever did come to having to lose your bladder, it is not going to make everything you worked for over the last 30 years go away in an instant unless you've been working as a bladder model. Clearly, I hope you never have to have an RC, but as someone who has, there is nothing I can't do that I could do before.

I hope that the BCG continues to work well for you and the bladder cancer is a thing of the past for you.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 8 months ago #33054 by Kenneth
BCG ongoing was created by Kenneth
Dr. Kamat walks in the exam room and says "Great News, We can save your bladder! I guess thats when it finally sank in, after all my personal hand-wringing, sleepless nights, wild thoughts about how everything I've worked for in the last 30 years is going away in an instant,it seemed like the black cloud that I had let sit on me since i heard the words "You have Bladder Cancer"started to lift away. Even though I know that I have a dangerous type of BLC and a long road ahead of me I actually feel up to the fight now. Both BCG treatments have been pretty much the same as far as side effects:burning urination,frequency,spasms,and fatigue. Other than the spasms which I have meds for,and the fatigue the other effects are not much different than I have had for awhile now. So the Doc told me it will get worse before it gets better, I say bring it on, I am up for the fight.
Thanks Everyone,
Ken

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne