I did it again...and survived!

13 years 10 months ago #32379 by abeach
Replied by abeach on topic I did it again...and survived!
With my first 30 BCG treatments I did half of them at 50%. The next day I would be almost be back to normal until #30. But I did recover from that one-just took longer with a complication. Then stayed clear for 5 good years! Then last fall began treatments again and had great diffculty recovering. My bladder was not happy and I was not happy so ready to give it up. My doctor finally went to 10% in February and I could tolerate it. I wish I had insisted in December to go lower since I was afraid to go anywhere other than home or work. Next exam is in September with 3 more treatments in October scheduled. They will be 10%. So don't be afraid to go lower. You are listening to your body better than I was. Good Luck. Hopefully we both get 5 or more good years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago #32355 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic I did it again...and survived!
Sure would be nice if there was a way to do some sort of sensitivity test on individuals to figure out the "right dose" for them.

I don't know. Subcutaneous skin test or something? Tiny little amount, see how bad it reacts and then gauge from that?

Maybe some day someone will come up with that one.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 10 months ago #32352 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic I did it again...and survived!
Everybody reacts so differently to BCG, became apparent to me just reading our BC Forum the past 4 years. Some patients can't get through the 6 weeks, due to reaction, while others go through 30 with little problem.
I did well until the 24th. It did get harder each time, but when I went for my 24th I felt good that day, no infection, BCG dose was 10% and downhill from there.
My Uro @ Moffitt works with BCG all the time and said that happens. Sometimes it is one too many, no warning, bladder just had enough :ohmy: So one year later, I am still trying to get over that last BCG.
I guess it would be hard to test for the perfect dose, because everyone reacts so differently.
So far the BCG has kept the CIS away for 2 yrs 8 months, so at least it worked so far :laugh:

Nancy

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

13 years 10 months ago #32346 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic I did it again...and survived!
I think I have one more series to go. Will find out for sure when I have my cysto in August. If so, will go ahead with 1/3 since it went so well this time. This is my third time on this dose, and it went so much better than last time...at the same dose.

Yes, SOMEONE needs to do a clinical trial on this stuff. There is no scientific rationale for what we get. My understanding is that the initial dose was chosen because that is how it was packaged from the manufacturer(s), and a number of urologists' experiences have contributed to what we do now, especially Dr. Lamm's. BUT there has not been a controlled clinical trial done.
And of course, NO ONE would do a placebo-controlled trial now!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

13 years 10 months ago #32345 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic I did it again...and survived!
Sara, great news, hang in there.

I have my cysto follow up 06/10/10 then if all is clear I will have my 16 through 18 BCG installments starting 06/15/10. I will also then be on the 6 month plan which is worrisome. Amazing the closer you get the more worried one gets.

Joey

13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #32344 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic I did it again...and survived!
Glad to hear you have another series behind you! It might be worth discussing reducing further to maybe 1/10th. As Nancy noted, Lamm goes as low as 1%. If 10% induces the reaction, that's good enough (and he's told me before and I've quoted him other times that it may even be better).

My guess (just a guess) is what they really need to to is figure out a way to determine the absolute minimum amount to produce a reaction in each patient. Collect the data on that around the world and then reset the standard. If 80% of the population of bladder cancer patients got the reaction needed at a 1% solution, then you have a new standard. Then they would be increasing the dose for those that don't rather than dealing with some potentially very nasty side effects for many and then having to scale back the dose.

In any case, glad you are through this series!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne