Going for 2nd opinion - need your help

13 years 11 months ago #31589 by Andy
Replied by Andy on topic Going for 2nd opinion - need your help
Hi Lori -

I also was T1G3, diagnosed in late Nov. 2009. I think the best thing you're doing is getting a second opinion at UNC. Hopefully your doc is well versed in bladder cancer and deals with it on a daily basis. T1G3 is tough, aggressive and usually needs to be restaged to confirm stage and if there's muscle involement. I had 2 TURBTs and was ready to start BCG before I went to University of Michigan where I was restaged in early February. My surgeon gae me 3 senarios: 1) no diease present - go to BCG, 2) diease present but no muscle involvement - RC. 3) diease present and in the muscle - chemo followed by probable RC. My cancer had already returned aggressively (but no muscle involvement) so I opted for an RC and neo bladder. Surgery was on March 2 and so far I'm doing well. My surgeon said since the cancer had returned, BCG was not a good option for me. I also am 52 - he said if I was older he may have tried it - but that I'd probably end up with an RC eventually. I'm happy with my decision, I wasn't looking forward to continual BCG treatments and the threat of the cancer returning hanging over my head. That being said, many folks have had good luck with BCG and are very happy with their decison. I would ask your doc about options if the cancer returns, potential choices for a diversion if you do need to think about an RC, and how your life will be affected if you continue BCG versus having an RC. Best of luck - you're on the right track. Keep asking questions and be your own best advocate.

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #31585 by LoriK
Hello everyone. Since the last time I've posted I have been doing lots of reading on BC trying to prepare myself for the 2nd opinion Doctor. I was hoping that you would have some suggestions/input on what I should ask, what I need to know and what I need to come away with from this appointment.
I am leaving Wednesday late morning for UNC Chapel Hill, NC for the doctors appt. on Thursday. We are spending the night because the dr. has scheduled a CT scan for first thing Thursday a.m. before I see him.

The questions I want answers for are about prognosis. I am sure you all understand this having been there yourself but I need to look at the bigger picture and that is where you people are so helpful.

Please help me so I can help myself. You have been a terrific source of information, I hope one day I can help others the way you have helped and assisted me.

Thank you LORI

DX 2/18/10 Stage 1, Grade 3
2 TURBT (March & April) Started BCG 3 weeks ago.

DX on 2.18.10
T1, G3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne