agent orange and bladder cancer

17 years 3 months ago #3136 by Doc
Replied by Doc on topic agent orange and bladder cancer
I am new to this board and am also a vet. Served with the 101st in 68/69 throughout most of Nam except the Delta. In 05 I was diagnosed with bladder cancer and had a radical cystectomy. The first operation was a TUR but the pathology came back that they were not certain that they were able to remove all of the cancer but the greatest concern was they were not sure if the cancer had left the lining of the bladder.

My Doc told me that if this pathology was given to 100 other Urologists they would agree that the best bet is to remove the bladder. We scheduled a surgery date and 9 hours in surgery I came out a changed man – so to speak.

The pathology report came back that the cancer had been removed by the TUR and had not left the lining of the bladder. I filed a claim with the VA regarding Agent Orange and it was accepted. My prostate also had the beginning of cancer and they felt the two were connected.

Due to the Stage (0) of the cancer I did not have any other treatment. Do I regret the decision – not damn one bit.

Hope this helps

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 3 months ago #3135 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic agent orange and bladder cancer
Terry,

According to some vets on the following site, bladder cancer is not recognized by the VA as being connected with exposure to Agent Orange, (though some Viet Nam vets have bladder cancer).

This is rather interesting.

www.medicalnewstoday.com/youropinions.php?opinionid=11399

Good luck,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 3 months ago #3134 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic agent orange and bladder cancer
Hey Terry,

I have lived my whole life around a Marine Corps military installation.  About 15 years ago, a local man who was retired from the Marines was diagnosed as a victim of Agent Orange.  I remember that he had cancer, but it seems to me that it was a throat cancer.  

I recently ran in to his daughter at my office and inquired about her father.  She said, "My Dad is doing great."  

I hope you will keep us posted.

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 3 months ago #3132 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic agent orange and bladder cancer
I was in viet Nam near the DMZ in 69. Army infentry, thou not for that long of a time. Don

Hanging in there!

17 years 3 months ago #3131 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic agent orange and bladder cancer
Hi Terry,

The bladder is extremely sensitive to enviromental toxins. Still, many people who were exposed do not get bladder cancer, and many non-smokers get it as well. I feel it's the combination of a genetic weakness or pre-disposition coupled with exposure to toxins that overload the immune system. It's been shown that a low grade, superficial bladder tumor can disappear without treatment; this must be the immune system starving the tumor, or something like that.

Do you know of other fellow vets that have come down with bladder cancer? I will have a quick look over at Medline.

What was your diagnosis?
Wishing you well,
Wendy

17 years 3 months ago #3129 by terry
agent orange and bladder cancer was created by terry
I 'm a viet nam veteran 68 69 infantry 4th Id . They tell me smoking causes bladder cancer. I don't smoke. Wondering if their AO may cause it. They say not. I'm not so sure. Terry

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne