BCG - Been exposed to Tuberculosis

14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #30213 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG - Been exposed to Tuberculosis
Molly,

Someone with more experience will eventually enter with a better answer. For now, I'd just be sure your URO is up to date with your past. Taking BCG includes a risk of contracting TB, albeit a small risk. Hence the urine test before instillation to be sure you don't have an infection. After the instillation they will tell you to call if you have anything higher than a low grade fever (fever being opne of the possible side effects).

As far as 6 treatments. I have read about a small minority that believe 6 is enough. A large majority believe in a "maintenance" protocol over several years. Some have had once a month for a year (I believe some of our Canadian friends get that type). Mine had me take 6 weekly, 6 off then 6 more and that was it. His reasoning was each instillation incurs some risk. I am almost 2 years out and clean.

Basically, everyone case is different from types of tumor, size, quantity etc. I like a doc that is cautious, conservative and up to date which yours sounds like one. Keep posting and someone will have more insight, be an advocate for yourself and read what you can.

Am enclosing a link for one of the better files on BCG: www.urotoday.com/prod/pdf/eau/05_TaT1_Bladder_Cancer.pdf

Alan

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 2 months ago #30212 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG - Been exposed to Tuberculosis
Molly,

Someone with more experience will eventually enter with a better answer. For now, I'd just be sure your URO is up to date with your past. Taking BCG includes a risk of contracting TB, albeit a small risk. Hence the urine test before instillation to be sure you don't have an infection. After the instillation they will tell you to call if you have anything higher than a low grade fever (fever being opne of the possible side effects).

As far as 6 treatments. I have read about a small minority that believe 6 is enough. A large majority believe in a "maintenance" protocol over several years. Some have had once a month for a year (I believe some of our Canadian friends get that type). Mine had me take 6 weekly, 6 off then 6 more and that was it. His reasoning was each instillation incurs some risk. I am almost 2 yaers out and clean.

Basically, everyone case is different from types of tumor, size, quantity etc. I like a doc that is cautious, conservative and up to date which yours sounds like one. Keep posting and someone will have more insight, be an advocate for yourself and read what you can.

Am enclosing a link for one of the better files on BCG: www.urotoday.com/prod/pdf/eau/05_TaT1_Bladder_Cancer.pdf

Alan

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

14 years 2 months ago #30205 by mollyspal
BCG - Been exposed to Tuberculosis was created by mollyspal
I have been diagnosed with superfical blc and a golf ball size tumor removed with a TUR a stent was put in for 6 weeks and we are now in a 3 week waiting period after the stent was removed waiting for my first BCG treatment next week. Here is the question, about 13 years ago I was exposed to a person with live Tuberculosis, I did not get the disease but got the virus, what ever that means and I had to be treated for six months with a specific antibiotic for TB. Now, I can not take the TB skin test because it will always show positive. I have to have a chest x-ray every 2 years which has always been negative. I have informed my Dr. of this and she advised me that because of it, since my cancer was only superfical she will only do the 6 initial BCG treatments and not do any follow up treatments because she can not do the skin test on me. She will then follow up with scopes of my bladder to check for recurrance. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Turbt Dec 2009
BCG every 3 months since Feb 2010

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne