BUMMER II

14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #29020 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic BUMMER II
Hi Chuck

I agree with Mike, get to a cancer center that deals with bladder cancer on a daily basis.
I would get re biopsied at the cancer center, then discuss your results with a top Uro.
If you are still TA High Grade, BCG could be still a possible option or a different agent, BCG/Interferon, MMC, or Valstar.
If you were T1 High Grade with a recurrence different story.
I was TA low grade with 2 early recurrences during BCG. I have finished weekly and maintenance treatments and have been clear over 2 years.
The difference here is that I was Low grade and your tumor(s) were High grade.
I wish you all the best,
Jack

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 3 months ago #29019 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic BUMMER II
Chuck

Strongly consider discussing cystectomy after a recurrence of high-grade. Get to a bladder cancer center right away to discuss it.

If you haven't seen the treatment guide for patient's I put together, check in the blog section. Kind of walks you through the whole process.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 3 months ago #29006 by kittylee
Replied by kittylee on topic BUMMER II
What I am about to post will not answer your questions, but I have to respond because whenever I hear (or in this case, read) the words "irritated area" the little hairs stand up on the back of my neck. If your Uro EVER says that about your cysto results, RUN do not walk to the best place to get another opinion. In my husband's case, that "irritated area from BCG treatments" was really invasive and metatstatic bladder cancer. Strange thing about second opinions, "we" don't really see the need if the news is not bad.

I am a caregiver to my wonderful husband, Ron
10/04 Multiple T1G3 - TURBT & 3 yrs BCG -
9/08 Invasive BLC w/distant mets
11/08 - 3/09 Gemzar/Cisplatin chemo regimen
4/09 Radiation to bone mets
6/09 lung and liver met progression - start ITP chemo
10/09 My darling Ron passed away

14 years 3 months ago #29004 by cljjlk
BUMMER II was created by cljjlk
I didn’t want to hoard in on Don’s “Bummer” discussion, so I will start a second BUMMER area. To bring you up to date on my situation; in August with my quarterly cysto and subsequent TURBT they found and removed a small (2 mm) TAG3 tumor. I did 6 weeks of BCG and then about 10 days ago went in for another TURBT. I got the result yesterday and the results were positive again. BUMMER!! The initial report stated small (.5 mm) non-invasive high grade. It also said there was not enough positive cells to tell if it was papillary or not (don’t understand that). MY Uro. said he was totally surprised because on examination it had all the appearance of an irritated area. He said it was so small that he missed it on the first pass, but found it when he returned to look at the area again. As before, he wants to send it up to John Hopkins for their Pathologist to further analyze. At a minimum, it will be back for another 6 weeks of BCG and a return TURBT. BUMMER AGAIN! My questions to the group, is a second series of BCG the normal protocol for a reoccurrence this quickly? Does the reoccurrence in the same area indicate anything or just a coincidence? If you were in my shoes, would you be seeking a second opinion or would wait to see how things develop after a second round of BCG? As always, I appreciate your opinions and support.

Chuck
:unsure:

dx - Aug 2005
Five reoccurences (last 12/09 Ta high grade)
BCG Started 10/09 (2 6wk treatment)
BCG Maintenance started 4/10

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne