FINALLY!!!

14 years 5 months ago #27918 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic FINALLY!!!
Cheryl,

Glad to hear Steve's good news!! Thank you for sharing.

Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 5 months ago #27917 by Cheryl522
FINALLY!!! was created by Cheryl522
Finally after 27 full strength BCG treatments my husband Steve is through!! His ordeal began in June, 2005 after he had blood in his urine. He went to his primary care physician who gave him a physical along with a urine test and saw blood in his urine.
His doctor did mention bladder cancer along with other things that can cause blood in urine. He was then referred to Dr. Stuart Wolf, a urologist with the University of Michigan who did a cystoscope and saw a tumor, a TURB was performed and then 4 days later we received the news, Ta, Grade 3 with surrounding CIS.

Steve was then referred to Dr. Brent Hollenbeck, a urologic oncologist with U of M, who performed a 2nd TURB, that report stated residual CIS, but no evidence of papillary or invasive disease. Then about 3 weeks later started 6 weeks of BCG along with maintenance treatments 3 treatments every 6 months.. He has been seen every 3 months for 2 years and then every 6 months for 2 years with all clears, except last August when he again saw blood in his urine, he had a biopsy and it erythematous patch, an irritation from BCG, but no evidence of disease. God willing, if Steve has an all clear in October 1, 2009 he will then be seen yearly! God was willing and he will be won’t be seen again until October 7, 2010!!!!! Thank you God for answering all of my prayers.

He didn’t have any adverse reaction to BCG, just the usual frequent urination usually just the day of treatment, (he tried to get the appointments as early in the day as possible so that it wouldn’t disrupt his sleep too much), fever and chills. Sometimes he would get tired but that was about it. He was able to hold the BCG for the most part 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours .He continued exercising, running 6 or so miles the morning of his treatments and then back to normal exercising the next day.

After being a lurker on this sight for 4 or so years, I thought I would tell my husbands story. NEVER in my wildest dreams did I think Steve would be doing this great 4 years later!! My heart goes out to each and everyone of you dealing with this dreaded disease.

Cheryl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne