Bladder spasms/pain after cath. removal

17 years 3 months ago #2728 by Bob_P
Replied by Bob_P on topic Bladder spasms/pain after cath. removal
Thanks for the advice. What a night. I got 1/2 hr. sleep. Spasms got stronger (eventually constant) and urine output got weaker (eventually zero) so it was off to ER at 7 AM to have another cath put back in and 400+ ml. removed. Urine culture was negative.
And they did start me on Ditropan (generic) and it seems to be helping. Of course when the catheter is in place, I don't seem to get spasms anyway.
OK, enough complaining...but it's good to know others have had similar experiences; I thought I was the only one.
Bob P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 3 months ago #2721 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Bladder spasms/pain after cath. removal
I have no idea if this will help, because, I had no bleeding or pain after TURB's, but I was urinating too frequently for the condition not to be spasms, so I invested in a homeopathic remedy at the Health Food store. I think it just says "For Bladder Irritation".

When I start noticing that I am urinating more often than everyone else in the office, I take a few. It does SEEM to help.

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 3 months ago #2720 by Rosie
Replied by Rosie on topic Bladder spasms/pain after cath. removal
Bob, I also had bladder spasms after TURB. My doctor prescribed oxybutynin which is a substitue for Ditropan. Hopefully your doctor also prescribed pain pills, antibiotics and instructed you to drink lots of water.

17 years 3 months ago #2719 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic Bladder spasms/pain after cath. removal
My Uro gave be detriol XL Did not seem to help me. But we are all diferant > Don

Hanging in there!

17 years 3 months ago #2716 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Bladder spasms/pain after cath. removal
For what it's worth, on my very first TURBT 14 years ago I had exactly this. It was agony but it did gradually subside and I think by day 2 or 3 it was a lot more bearable. But I know exactly what you mean. My blood pressure plummeted and I nearly passed out. It put me off catheters completely but I never again had the problem you describe to the same degree. I can't remember the name but they can give you anti-spasmodic drugs.

tim

17 years 3 months ago #2713 by Bob_P
My first day after taking out catheter and I'm not a happy camper.  I've been able to urinate OK, every 3 hours or so and not much blood coming out so that part is OK. What concerns me is the increasing pain when I do urinate. It keeps getting more intense each time.
When I had my TURB (3-4 mm. single tumor), a few days ago, the doctor said he had to dilate the urethra to get the instrument in there. Bleeding from that procedure stopped later that afternoon.
I'm fine between urination bouts (very little pain) it's just hits when I start urinating.  The last time I almost passed out. I quickly sat on the toilet and put my head between my legs for about 10 minutes, cold sweat. When I was strong enough, I rolled to the floor and put my legs on a chair. After 10 more minutes I made it to the bed and took my BP: 79/53. I repeated it about 10 minutes later and it had gone up to 110/72, then 115/78. I called the urologist on call and he said that he wasn't worried as long as I was peeing. He said that it could have been a reaction to the pain from the dilation on Wednesday.
I should say that I took some Pyridium a couple of hours before and the doc. said to keep doing that; it should help.
I did a search on this site and couldn't find anyone with the same problem. Anyone heard of anything like this?  Maybe my bladder isn't emptying enough and that is causing the spasms?
Almost time for next urination......wish me luck!
Bob P

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne