Bacon and BC! Has anyone else read this?

17 years 4 months ago #2891 by Bob_P
Replied by Bob_P on topic Bacon and BC! Has anyone else read this?
I don't think the carcinogens hang around that long, Rosemary. But what might happen is the carcinogens affect the genes that "turn off" the cancer cells.  Then it might take many years for the genes to mutate and stop doing their work leading to a multiplication of un-normal (cancerous) cells somewhere down the line.
I'm no expert but just my 2 cents.
I know they are doing a lot of research in this area (gene abnormalities) so I'm sure we will see some interesting results in the future.
Bob P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 4 months ago #2694 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Bacon and BC! Has anyone else read this?
I don't see how this one could apply to my cancer as I have not had a piece of bacon in my mouth in over 30 years.  

When the Mayo Clinic diet was popular about 40 years ago, I lived on bacon, grapefruit and hot dogs.
Wonder if carcinogens hang around that long?

I do, however, eat chicken without the skin. Uh-oh Rabbit, maybe we are on to something here!

Ro

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 4 months ago #2671 by The_Rabbit
Replied by The_Rabbit on topic Bacon and BC! Has anyone else read this?
Oh great! For the last 10 years or so I have gone on and on about eating chicken without skin, as 'with' was so much more fattening etc and all the 'foodies' constantly go on about removing fat from diet etc. So, we probably eat skinless chicken at least 3 times a week! Not stopping either. Being a Brit, our consumption of bacon maybe higher than other countries - do we have more pigs? - a trip down the 'greasy spoon' for a well brewed cup of tea, fag and bacon sarnie, is the staple of many!!

Greg, Rabbit stands for Bunny - a nickname given to me when I first met Steve! I think I could change that to Sloth now actually!!! Hmm, Blooms, my ex took me there once ...

I shall try and unearth more info relating to this study because, like you, I am intrigued to know actually what 'bit of the bacon' is the problem. Cut, smoked or unsmoked, with rind or without - from Asda or Marks and Spencers - the list is endless. How on earth do they follow people's dietary habits for 22 years?

GP aware of haematura in Jan 06
Diagnosed BC Nov 06
T1G3 with CIS
Age 46, Smoked since 15, gave up at diagnosis

17 years 4 months ago #2669 by lhpdogs
Replied by lhpdogs on topic Bacon and BC! Has anyone else read this?
I remember seeing something about nitrites and nitrates as being suspects in BC.. all bacon and lunchmeats have these substances, so I gave them up over the last year. Ocassionally, I HAVE to have a salami sandwich, i just can't help it.. but otherwise, only fresh meat, or expensive "deli" meats from Trader Joe's, a grocery store that carries tons of organic and no-preservative type foods.

I miss bacon... :-/

TaG1 12/05
3 recurrences
BCG started 9/09

17 years 4 months ago #2665 by Jmema
Replied by Jmema on topic Bacon and BC! Has anyone else read this?
Hi,
My granddaughter who is a certified veterinary technician and manages a very busy practice is taking a lot of courses in holistic meds and diet for animals and it certainly also applies to humans. When I was diagnosed she immediately set up a diet of only organic meat and very little of the red meat, lots of fruits and veggies and of course I have always had my vitamin and herb protocol which seems to work for me. It had been proven years ago that a high fat diet contributed to breast and colon cancer so why not bladder cancer as well. Everyone seems to blame smoking but what about the people who never smoked and still got bladder cancer at a young age. Greg is right. We have to create awareness and find the cause. Whatever happened to our orange bracelets?? That would at least get people asking about it.
Jean

17 years 4 months ago #2663 by dah111

Debbie
Born 1956 Female, Caucasian
Virginia, USA
Smoked Cigarettes 1971- 2004
Diagnosed June 2004
T1, G2/3

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne