Is PUNLMP considered \"Cancer\"?

14 years 10 months ago #25731 by deand
Replied by deand on topic Is PUNLMP considered \"Cancer\"?
If I read this correctly, then a PUNLMP isnt considered "cancer" per se. My Uro basically called it "kind of a Pre-cancer" if not caught early. So I feel better now, thanks for the data. They tend to come back, but they dont seem to turn malignant or cause problems I guess. Maybe more TURBs in my future but I will take that over the alternative. Thanks

Dean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #25720 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic Is PUNLMP considered \"Cancer\"?
Long-term outcome of bladder papillary urothelial neoplasms of low malignant potential
Y. Fujii*, S. Kawakami*, F. Koga*†, T. Nemoto† and K. Kihara*
*Urology and Reproductive Medicine, and
†Human Pathology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School, Tokyo, Japan
Correspondence to Y. Fujii, MD, PhD, Department of Urology and Reproductive Medicine, 1-5-45, Yushima, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113–8519, Japan.
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Copyright 2003 BJU INTERNATIONAL
KEYWORDS
papillary urothelial neoplasm • low malignant potential • bladder • TCC • superficial • long-term follow-up
OBJECTIVE

To evaluate the long-term outcome of bladder papillary urothelial neoplasms of low malignant potential (PUNLMP).

PATIENTS AND METHODS
Of 475 consecutive patients with newly diagnosed bladder tumours between 1976 and 1993, 330 (69%) had superficial (Ta and T1) tumours and 53 (11%) were diagnosed as having PUNLMP. Fifty patients (mean age at presentation 57.2 years, range 26–83; male-to-female ratio 6 : 1) who were followed for> 5 years or until they died, were included in the present study. All histological slides were reviewed, and fulfilled the diagnostic criteria of the 1998 World Health Organization/International Society of Urological Pathology classification system.

RESULTS
The mean (median, range) follow-up was 11.7 (10.8, 1.3–24.4) years. During the follow-up, 30 patients (60%) had local recurrences. The 2, 5 and 10-year recurrence-free rates were 66%, 51% and 36%, respectively. No patients developed high-grade or muscle-invasive (≥ T2) carcinomas, or upper urinary tract tumours, or died from the disease. At the last follow-up, 34 patients (68%) had been disease-free for> 5 years.

CONCLUSIONS
Despite a high recurrence rate, PUNLMP carries a very low malignant potential. We agree with the use of the term 'papillary urothelial neoplasms of low malignant potential' instead of 'superficial bladder carcinoma (cancer)' for these tumours.

Accepted for publication 1 May 2003

DIGITAL OBJECT IDENTIFIER (DOI)
10.1046/j.1464-410X.2003.04415.x About DOI

Related Articles

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

14 years 10 months ago #25717 by deand
Is PUNLMP considered \"Cancer\"? was created by deand
I am confused. I had my TURB...path came back and said very small PUNLMP and the Uro was very unconcerned. I am going back every 90 days for a scope to make sure it is not growing back. No BCG, no other treatments. I was told I had a single PUNLMP tumor. The "attitude" was that it was benign...but is it?

I am seeing things on the web that say that a PUNLMP is actuall considered a "bladder cancer", but is it?

I guess I need to know because of future medical insurance issues. If I decide to retire or do something else, is this single PUNLMP going to make it extremely hard for me to get personal medical insurance because it is considered cancer?

I am going to talk to my Uro about this next Cyto appt, but any guesses? Is this actually considered cancer or is it not?

Thanks

Dean

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne