Markers or grades or levels

14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #25671 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Markers or grades or levels
Phil,

When the pathology lab sends you the bill, be sure to leave the signature blank (on your check).

Since they didn't include the most important information in the report, it seems only fair for you to not include the most important part of the payment. :)

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #25667 by jms1
Replied by jms1 on topic Markers or grades or levels
Thanks for the advice. I called my surgeon and the nurse agreed with me. The lab report lacks that critical information. They promise me that I shall know with 48 hours.:cheer:

14 years 11 months ago #25666 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Markers or grades or levels
As already stated it is a good idea to have a copy of all of your medical records. The biggest gift you can give yourself at this point is to educating yourself about the type and grade of bladder cancer you are dealing with. There is a potential difference in how you would deal with say a Ta or a T1, high grade or CIS diagnosis. Until you know what you are dealing with you cannot fully understand your situation. Here is a link to our pathology page it is under blc information in our main menu you might also wish to read the section on non invasive blc.

www.bladdercancersupport.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=102

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

14 years 11 months ago #25665 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Markers or grades or levels
Hi Buttermilk Phil....WEll yeah...your pathology report should state what kind of cancer , the grade of the cancer , and the stage of the cancer. Do you have it in hand? If not call the hospital where it was done and ask for medical records and tell them you want your pathology report and just sign for it...its yours. Its important that your uro went deep enough to get a sampling of the muscle for a correct diagnosis. If its low grade than BCG really isn't effective...so its pretty important you be informed. If it is a higher grade but say a T or T1 tumor than BCG is the gold standard. Treatment starts 10 days after your TURB......but its been highly recommended that a repeat TURB is done on high grade...also a CT scan and blood work and possibly a bone scan dependent on the blood work. You might see out a second opinion from a major center that deals with bladder cancer such as USC/Norris...one of the best in CA...or UCSF.....not sure where Loma Linda is?
www.informedicalcme.com/bladder/nonmuscle/
a good article to read.
Pat

14 years 11 months ago #25664 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Markers or grades or levels
At the very least you need to know the grade and stage. They are your records so having a copy in case you need a second opinion is also critical. The BLC cafe is a wonderful source-go back into the start/home page also; blcwebcafe.org/content/view/91/101/lang,english/,

Many of us have had BCG which is the "preferred" treatment in a majority of higher stage cancer of the bladder. Go back and peruse older topics. The people here are wonderful. Sorry you have joined the "club" but, there is life and a lot of hope in this group!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

14 years 11 months ago #25663 by jms1
Markers or grades or levels was created by jms1
My doctor at Loma Linda did the cystoscopy and resection, found cancers and did a pathological diagnosis. Nowhere on the report does it tell me what stage or grade of cancer I have. Is this normal? Should I get that from them? I will be started BCG treatment in another four days for six weeks.:S

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne