A question for our other male members?

14 years 10 months ago #25641 by britt
Replied by britt on topic A question for our other male members?
Im chomping at the bit here! First my uro moved out of the area after promising to continue my care. Then as I was being refered the VA pulled in all patients being outsourced as they picked up a staff uro! I was finally set for my cysto on the 22nd and got a call to xl the day before. I find out the dr was only a locum tenens and left that day! Now Im fighting to be outsourced again. The procedure will be done in surgery(the only way this dr works it(. I had a copd episode and have chf after 5 MI's. My dr requires cardio clearance first. For that I need the blood work, EKG, Thallium stress test and an ultrasound. I find out today that they nuke meds guys are jammed up and the stress test wont be until july now! That will be over 10 months since the TURB. This has me stressed out if youve seen my posts! I have to get it done ASAP as my TURB was niv 13th which puts us at 6 months(or 3 mo past due!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #25640 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic A question for our other male members?
Britt,

I am surprised you have gone 6 months since your last cysto. Perhaps another peek could help unravel your question.

There is no question too sensitive or too goofy sounding for this group. We ar all in it togther! I have learned a lot from ya'll.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

14 years 10 months ago #25639 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic A question for our other male members?
Hi, Britt

I have had 3 Turbts and several BCG Treatments.
I have a huge difference in my urine flow since my 2nd Turbt.
I must say that the flow has increased in the last few months since I finished my maintenance BCG in January 2009.
I have talked to other survivors while taking my BCG treatments, and nearly all had noticed a difference in the strength of the flow.
I think now that my bladder has healed from the Turbts and the BCG, everything will get back to normal in time.
I wish you all the best,
Jack

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

14 years 10 months ago #25638 by alsimons
Replied by alsimons on topic A question for our other male members?
Britt;

Last week my Urologist told me I have a crippled bladder from all of the poking and probing, etc. from the 4 cystoscopy, 3 TURB and biopsies. If I were you I would make sure to let your Urologist become aware of your complications as my doctor stated my condition is not the norm.

Since December 9th 2008 I’ve had varying complications after my 2nd TURB to remove about 50 tumors. I now find myself sitting to void and if I move (while still sitting) more urine will trickle out without my conscience trying. As far as trying to void standing I feel like I’m voiding through a straw and there is a sharp pain when starting then about half way through there is irritation and at the end the sharp pain comes back. I have found by sitting this level of discomfort is lessened. As far as urgency I do everything I can to avoid this situation as it results in major periods of I need a pain pill time. Waking up in the middle of the night with a full bladder usually means the discomfort (even after voiding) will keep me up the rest of the night. I now quit taking fluids 3 hours before bed time and make it a habit to run to the men’s room every 45 minutes during the day.

Good luck and hang in there.
Al

14 years 10 months ago #25637 by britt
Have any of you noticed a difference in urine stream since your first TURB? I do take fairly heavy diuretics for my CHF/COPD. I still find myself with a full feeling bladder more often than before. The diference is in the power behind the stream. Even when I have a sense of urgency, at times my urine seems to come out much slower and I dont have the bladder control to increase pressure any longer AT times, when Im sitting it fels like its just dribbling out. This even happens when my bladder got so full it feels like it might burst when I have ben asleep. Also, Ill find myself going for a longer time than before. If I continue, I can start over again and release a fair amount. Also, I never have any problems with incontinance. I keep a contained next to the bed(do to night frequency and also to look for clots at times) Some times I will almost fill a quart container!
Is this normal? Was there damage done to the wall or muscle in the bladder caused by the surface cancer and/or its removal? Does anyone else experience diminished flow?
I hope this isnt a rude question to ask. Anything having to do with our disease and its effects can be very personal. BTW its been around 6 mo since my TURB and am still awaiting the 1st post TURB cysto.
britt

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne