A Cytoscopy quetstion

14 years 10 months ago #25547 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic A Cytoscopy quetstion
When my old urologist got a new model cystoscope with a monitor, he asked if I wanted to look. I answered, "just get done and get that @!*# thing out of me!" My current urologist does not have a scope with a monitor. I might be interested to see if I was relaxed and comfortable, but in the end, while patient preferences might make a difference regarding the ability to watch on a monitor, the urologist's ability to tell what's going on shouldn't be affected by it.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #25544 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic A Cytoscopy quetstion
I have only ever had cystos with monitor. My uro changed to a newer model which he says is more accurate(Also I found more uncomfortable!), about 6 months ago. I personally prefer to see whats going on in there,
Regards, Diane

14 years 10 months ago #25542 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic A Cytoscopy quetstion
My 1st Cysto's were done without the monitor.

When my town opened a new hospital 2 years ago, the Urology department was updated with state of the art equipment.

My Uro bragged to me that the light used for the Cysto's was just invented recently, and is much more powerful than his old one at the other hospital.
The monitor was flat screen, and we both looked inside my bladder together.
I personally like the monitor. But more importantly I like the more powerful light.

Hope this helps.
Jack

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

14 years 10 months ago #25541 by Cynthia
A Cytoscopy quetstion was created by Cynthia
Here is a question I received from a lady today. It is one I have never had before. My answer for the most part would be it depends on the skill of the doctor doing the cystoscopy....... State of the art and bells and whistles do not make up for lack of skill. Personally I liked the ones with the monitors so I could watch only problem was they would never give me the remote so that I could change the channel. All joking aside my first cysto was with a local uro who kept his scopes in Tupperware without lids and brought it in on a food cart that looked like it had been appropriated from the hospital cafeteria. Knowing what I do now I should have said thanks but no thanks he took a look and missed a sizable tumor. The second one I had was at a major blc center without a monitor and he picked up on everything that was there except the CIS.
Chime in if you have any other thoughts.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne