BCG- Complication

15 years 2 months ago #23534 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic BCG- Complication
Hi Jack and melanie,
I also had treatment with mitomycin C, one immediately after TURB and a course of six weeks afterwards.I would say I had around 24 hours discomfort ( not pain)
after each treatment , then for quite along while cystitis type symptoms, but this has now resolved itself and I would say I feel back to normal in the waterwork dept.!I am currently cancer free, and would say for me the pros have definitely outweighed the cons.My Urologist gave me the impression that the mitomycin was a more agressive treatment to use against the cancer, and I felt happy with his decision.However if I have any recurrence in the future and he reccomends trying BCG I would go along with that. Good luck with your treatment, and let us know how it goes for you,
Diane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 2 months ago #23529 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic BCG- Complication
Dear Jack & Melanie,
One person's experience does not constitute a scientific study, but I had a course of Mitomycin C for treatment instead of BCG. My urologist at the time said he had better results with Mitomycin C. Before agreeing to this course of action I discussed it with a urological oncologist I knew at Harvard, and he agreed that treatment with Mitomycin C was comparable to BCG. Now I know that BCG is the standard, and 8 years ago when I was diagnosed with TaG3 plus CIS things might have been different than they are today. I had 8 weekly instillations of Mitomycin C and 8 years later I've never had a recurrence. My only caution: beg your urologist to pass the catheter carefully. After one rough catheterization with Mitomycin C I developed urethritis, and thereafter had urethritis with each treatment resulting in a urethral stricture which continues to plague me even though I remain cancer free.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #23526 by laubsman
BCG- Complication was created by laubsman
Hi Folks;

This is Mel. Jack had surgery last week for a nodule in his urethra that had become very hard obstructing the passage of urine. The doctor stated that he has a condition of chronic prostatitis. He stated that the BCG had "hardened" the prostatic regrowth and reduced his bladder capacity to 300 Ml.

Jack's doctor is a urological oncologist and well thought of surgeon. He told us that he is going to replace the BCG maintenance therapy with Mitomycin-C. He additionally stated that he has found similar efficacy with the Mitomycin-C.

Jack has been NED for three years and started BCG maintenance therapy with four sessions completed prior to this incident. Original DX Ta-Grade lll/lll. There was no CIS present and all cytologies have been pristine.

Can anyone provide comment or information concerning Mitomycin and it's effectiveness?

Melanie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne