Self Catheterization

15 years 3 months ago #23333 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Self Catheterization
Leigh wrote:Thanks Leigh,
I'll be trying to focus more on the wedding and less on the pee... if I can :laugh: .

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 3 months ago #23324 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic Self Catheterization
Dear Warren,

It has been a while since we chatted...the last time when I had my stricture opening op.

I am sorry to hear you have been having continued problems...which I know can be very painful and stressful.

Luckilly I have had no further problems and wish for you a speedy resolve to this problem too.

Wishing you many decent pee's with no pain and a wonderful wedding for your daughter.

Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

15 years 3 months ago #23316 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic Self Catheterization
You do have a plan Warren, and that alone should give you some relief.Hopefully, you will have a vacation from the pain to enjoy your daughter's wedding, and cross the next bridge when the celebration is over. Hang in there.............

Nix

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

15 years 3 months ago #23313 by wsilberstein
Patricia wrote:Yes you are trying, and I appreciate it. I know others have had to deal with constant burning from BCG and the like. Don't know how they do it. I do go about my business - work, baking cookies for my daughter's wedding - but I'm getting a headache from always having my teeth clenched. It's been going on since right after Thanksgiving, and the attempted self catheterization probably set me back another two weeks. Like I say, it isn't the pain of catheterization I have a problem with. It's the stricture symptoms that just won't go away and seem to have been perpetuated by trying self catheterization.
Somehow I missed your last answer even though it posted before my most recent update. You really try to help everyone, me included, so you deserve to feel appreciated. I'll try to stop being so cranky. I'm impatient, but the symptoms are finally starting to improve... and I have a plan of action. See my last post.

-Warren
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Pediatrician

15 years 3 months ago #23268 by wsilberstein
Happy New Year everyone!
Today I visited my urologist for a cystoscopy to look at the stricture. We agreed in advance that he would not try to pass the stricture or dilate it. Urinalysis still shows 4+ blood which is consistent with the fact that I am still inflamed (= in pain). He said the stricture was back but not bad, although he said that it didn't look bad in March and when he tried to dilate it found that things were worse higher up since he couldn't even pass the smallest follower (dilator). In any event, my uroflow wasn't bad and I had no residual, which doesn't surprise me since I never have obstructive symptoms, just pain and bladder irritability.
He said he didn't see any inflammation (but I feel it, and if it's not inflamed, what's bleeding?!?) He offered to just pass the scope through the stricture but I suggested we not do anything at this time since
  1. I just had surgery 3 weeks ago, so why would opening things up traumatically last any longer or be any better
  2. I just self-catheterized 1½ weeks ago and the end result was enough swelling that I couldn't pass the catheter 2 days later
  3. I need a break from these symptoms. I've been hurting since just after Thanksgiving. Another procedure will mean at least 2 more weeks of healing. Even just looking up to the stricture has irritated me.
  4. My daughter is getting married in 5½ weeks :cheer:. I need to be feeling better then, and I need to work on baking cookies now!
We agreed that he would take another look after the wedding and if the stricture was not too tight for me to pass a 14 French catheter, I would try it in his office then, and see if self catheterization is still a viable option. If not, he will refer me to Dr. Noel Armenakas in Manhattan for urethral reconstruction surgery. Thankfully, Dr. Armenakas participates in my insurance since I have no out of network benefits.

-Warren
Pediatrician

15 years 3 months ago #23245 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Self Catheterization
Warren......the post about the guy who got the lidocaine from canada and lubes his entire catheter.......!!!! I know there was not a specific as to yours not being able to pass but i thought maybe it was a place you could post?
I'm trying!!:S Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne