nervous about dad\'s turb on tuesday

15 years 4 months ago #22670 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic nervous about dad\'s turb on tuesday
My Dad has had stents in both ureters for a year and a half now. He gets them changed out every 3 to 4 months. The interventional radiologist does it through his stoma and it takes about 15 minutes to do. The first stent was placed due to a leak where the ureter joined the ileal conduit during the original radical cystectomy in April of 2007. The second stent was placed due to scar tissue forming and blocking some of the urine flow. The down side of stents is that Dad seems to get more UTIs since there is something in his body that sticks out. This seems to be a direct pathway to the kidneys. He is very conscious of cleanliness when changing his appliance but he still gets frequent UTIs.

I would like the radiologist to do a dye test to verify the leak has healed and that there is no longer a blockage in the other ureter but the philosophy seems to be "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The original insertion of the stents was done through his back and they have to run a "guide wire" over which they insert the stent. Thee are now stents that can be left in for a year without changing but so far, Dad has opted to stay with the kind that get changed every 3-4 months.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 4 months ago #22669 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic nervous about dad\'s turb on tuesday
Claudia--

Glad to hear the good news on your Dad's biopsy, and hope the second one comes out equally well. I'm sure you folks can have a happy thnaksgiving now!

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

15 years 4 months ago #22668 by cas1966
Replied by cas1966 on topic nervous about dad\'s turb on tuesday
hi everyone,

just wanted to give you an update on my dad. he went in for turb today at 7:30a.m. to remove the mysterious "white fluffy thing" that the doctor said was not yet a tumor. anyhow, the biospy the doctor took in the office was negative but he did another biopsy today (my guess is standard protocol). he also was supposed to have a stent placed in one kidney that was not draining well. the tumor from last year was at the entrance/near ureter opening. well the hole is too small for doctor to place stent in so now they are seeing if a radiologist can place stent today (through his back). it is not an emergency and if they can not do procedure today they will reschedule. all i can say is that the important thing is that there is no cancer. i can live with him having a stent put in eventhough it may be a little difficult. thanks to all who gave me words of encouragement. you all are great.

claudia

15 years 4 months ago #22638 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic nervous about dad\'s turb on tuesday
Claudia,
I am sure your Dad will be fine. We have the 3 month cystos to keep tabs on our bladders and to catch anything early. (which is what your Dad is doing) Good luck and let us know how everything comes out.
Nix

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

15 years 4 months ago #22637 by cas1966
nervous about dad\'s turb on tuesday was created by cas1966
hi,

just needed to post a message. my dad will have a turb on tuesday. he was clear for one year until his 3 month check up earlier this month. doctor saw what he called a "white fluffy thing" on the surface of bladder. doctor described it as not yet a tumor but something that was trying to do something/turn into something. i know it is good that he is getting rid of it but i am still so nervous and worried. it helps sometimes to think that one year ago we went through worse (a t1 tumor that probably was there at least a year) and my dad is still here and actually was doing good (he had no symptons and 3 month check was only reason the "thing" was found). just nervous and needed a little reassurance. thanks for anyone out there reading this.

claudia

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne