BCG and flu shots

15 years 4 months ago #22110 by Lady Jane
Replied by Lady Jane on topic BCG and flu shots
I have wondered this myself. I have never had a flu shot before and didn't plan on having one but last winter I was sick quite often. A really bad cold that lasted 3 weeks and a viral infection. I had had 2 rounds of BCG so I wonder if it made my immune system low??
I will ask my uro on Wed.

Ta Grade 1
6 TURBS
15 BCG
dx Jan 07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #22066 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic BCG and flu shots
I understand that the issue about flu shots was not so much side effects, but whether the interaction of the flu shot and the BCG might render one or the other less effective. I seem to recall that having a flu shot while receiving BCG made the flu shot less effective (something related to the immune response induced by the BCG?).

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

15 years 5 months ago #22061 by slabman
Replied by slabman on topic BCG and flu shots
Well, FWIW...I just had a flu shot right in the middle of my latest 3 BCG's and didn't feel any effects other than the usual more arthritic effects, stomach and lower abdominal pains and tiredness. Other than that...nuthin! :unsure:

Bob
T1 G3
Age 66
DX April 2008
TURB April 2008
Last BCG (#15) April 2009

15 years 5 months ago #22053 by pemquid
BCG and flu shots was created by pemquid
I know there had been a discussion in one of the forums here about BCG and flu shots, so thought I'd pass on what I just learned. When I was at the urologist today I asked about timing of flu shots. I'll start 3 weeks of BCG maintenance in early January, and had finished the 6 weeks in mid-September. He said that it was OK to have a flu shot 2 weeks after completing a cycle of BCG, or up to two weeks before starting a cycle. So, if I get one this week or in November I'll be fine.

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne