Arthritic Side Effects from BCG

15 years 5 months ago #21966 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Arthritic Side Effects from BCG
Using my own brain, I figured out that BCG attacks the immune system. Arthritis is an immune system condition, so it's all inter related. My rheumatologist agreed with my brainy assessment...:silly:

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #21965 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Arthritic Side Effects from BCG
Well, Slab, the only way that I can help you from my own experience, is to say that I have BCG induced psoriatic arthritis. However, I should be very clear that you can only get THIS type of arthritis, if you already have the skin conditin of psoriasis....

Needless to say, your symptoms sound very much similar to the ones that I had, and the ones that I am still having. The thing that finally sent me to a rheumatologist was when my toe swelled up the size of a big sausage. The Doc took one look at my toe and he diagnosed me. My arthritis moves around, one minute here, and the next minute there. I am on Celebrex which does help with inflammation.

I've researched a lot about this, and what I seem to remember is that the BCG induced arthritis is temporary (????) but, what you are describing sounds like something different.

If I were you, I would get a referral with a rheumatologist. He and your Urologist may have to talk turkey!!

It's a pain, ain't it????

Take care, and please let me know how it all turns out. There aren't many of us out there with this type of response...

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

15 years 5 months ago #21954 by slabman
Arthritic Side Effects from BCG was created by slabman
Rosemary, on another thread your comment about arthritis triggered a memory. Over the past several months of BCG, I have had a LOT of arthritic symptoms develop, including arthritic growth and pinching of nerves in my spinal column which I had surged a couple years ago. So now I take anti-inflammatories for that and yet the arthritic conditions continue to develop back there and in other joints such as hands, shoulders, etc.

Is this a condition commonly developed from BCG and what can one do about it, if anything? I'm curious if others have experienced these conditions?

Bob
T1 G3
Age 66
DX April 2008
TURB April 2008
Last BCG (#15) April 2009

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne