Dr Lamm\'s Nutritional Suggestions

15 years 5 months ago #21861 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic Dr Lamm\'s Nutritional Suggestions
thirteen years ago I was living in an industrial steel town with lots of pollution - maybe since I am in the deep south, and just breathing air from the ocean things will get better - think I will have that glass of wine now:)

Nix

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #21859 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Dr Lamm\'s Nutritional Suggestions
hmmmm...all very interesting. I've always eaten lots of brocolli..am Italian so lycopene a regular in my diet since birth!!!:P Love soy and cook with it at least once a week......eat way too much garlic.....drink Pom juice everyday along with grape juice or cranberry juice.......but l3 yrs ago i was driving a deisel car......???? We were all taking in second hand smoke.....and i refuse to go gray but those studies are kind of iffy aren't they? Maybe they have lots of lobbyists in Washington?
I'm blaming my volkswagon Rabbit! :S Pat

15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #21858 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Dr Lamm\'s Nutritional Suggestions
I actually found a bottle of Pomegranate wine this week and it enjoyed it very much. I thumbed my nose at bladder cancer, too, while drinking it.

I agree with the intuition about the bladder being "primed" for bladder cancer.

However according to Dr. Lamm, the amount of time from exposure to the toxin until the onset of occurrence is 13 years...

Let's see what was I doing 13 years ago?...Oh yeah, I was sitting in a room at work soaking in other people's smoke.

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

15 years 5 months ago #21857 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic Dr Lamm\'s Nutritional Suggestions
For the last yearI have eaten a least two cups of broccoli a week - ever since I read the study that showed broccoli cut re-occurring tumors by 40%. So far so good. I also asked if a glass or two of wine a week was harmful - since it does pass thru the bladder - but he did not answer that - hmmm wonder what that says?
I am a week behind you Sara Ann - I have a least three weeks before I get hyper.

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

15 years 5 months ago #21855 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Dr Lamm\'s Nutritional Suggestions
All the information on nutrition is certainly interesting, and taking it seriously cannot hurt. I have increased several of these recommendations in my diet.

The thing I really think about, however, is that these suggestions would probably have been most effective IF we had been able to take them into account 30-40 years ago. We might have prevented the development of the cancer entirely. Intuitively, it seems to me that my bladder is now "primed" for bladder cancer...something there has gone awry. And while I am hopeful that all the things I am doing will help keep it under control, I wish I had been able to have it never happen.

Can you tell that I am nervously in the waiting phase for my
next cytoscopy Nov. 14?

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #21854 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Dr Lamm\'s Nutritional Suggestions
Finally, an affirmative answer concerning the use of soy.

This is all good news, and except for the fact that I haven't eaten any red meat in about 30 years, this all makes sense.

Also, since DX, I have chosen on my own steam to completely remove all diet soft drinks (all soft drinks for that matter) from my diet and have had no recurrances.

I do however, use a daily amount of Splenda in my coffee.

Oh, and because of severe psoriatic arthritis triggered by BCG I am now on a
regimented prescription of Celebrex. It could be that the arthritis is a blessing in disguise, but you can't prove it by me on a week like this week, when it is hard to stand straight because of pain.

And, I take the garlic too.

Recurrance free after almost 3 years. No tumors at all since DX. My urine remains crystal clear (knock on wood.) We'll just see what the future holds...

This is very important information.

Thanks very much for sharing.

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne