BCG - Can't hold it in

17 years 4 months ago #2367 by Abbie
Replied by Abbie on topic BCG - Can't hold it in
Thanks Greg for your suggestion. I told my Dad not to drink anything from 12:00am on. He had his 2nd treatment on Wednesday and was able to hold it in for 2 hrs! The doctor never told him something as simple as that.... The nurse who administed the BCG told him that she did not want to leave the catheter in because is wasn't good to do that. The doctor says one thing and the nurse does something else. Go figure.... Anyway, he was able to hold it in. Thank you soooo much and thank you Wendy too for your suggestions.

My best to all,
Abbie :-*

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 4 months ago #2317 by vervidj
Replied by vervidj on topic BCG - Can't hold it in

Only the person taking the BCG can tell how it affects them, I had fever, headaches, sick to my stomach for almost three days which was too much. Since I had already been into the treatment plan by 6 treatments the doctor cut to 1/2 dose and felt it would be just as effective.

Don

17 years 4 months ago #2314 by vervidj
Replied by vervidj on topic BCG - Can't hold it in
Wendy,
you never cease to amaze me -- you are right on with what I been told by my doctor
about BCG treatments -- if too harse the 1/2 dose is just as good and 1 hour is good.
Thank you again Wendy your comments and others are very supportive

Don

17 years 4 months ago #2217 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic BCG - Can't hold it in
Hi,

Some time ago I had a course of MytomicinC which was introduced into the bladder with a catheter and then you had a whole hour to concentrate on NOT wanting to urinate :-?

I was having the treatment at 14.00hrs. each time and so I just didn't drink from midnight the night before - it was no problem ;)

If your mouth dries out just use plain water - do a Bill Clinton and don't swallow!

Regards,
Greg L-W.

17 years 4 months ago #2211 by Abbie
Replied by Abbie on topic BCG - Can't hold it in
Thanks for the information. I will pass it along to my father. He goes for his next BCG treatment on Wednesday, Nov. 23rd. Hopefully, this treatment will go better than the first time around. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Abbie :)

17 years 5 months ago #2144 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic BCG - Can't hold it in
There is some room for leeway with BCG but a half hour might be a bit short. Some doctors say an hour is enough. Some use a reduced dose and they say that does just as well as a regular dose, so...who can really say. But there's room to adjust things so your father can stand it.

If your father finds that BCG is not for him, there's a new treatment in phase III clinical trials for those who can't take BCG, check this out:
blcwebcafe.org/urocidin.asp

Keep us posted and all the best to your father and you.
Wendy

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne