Symptom of BCG's?

17 years 3 weeks ago #4220 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Symptom of BCG's?
Sandra,

Thanks for the post. I felt much better on yesterday, with Celebrex, though still much pain in the shoulder. I was dancing a jig at work to show the girls how much better I felt. :o

Yesterday, at the Gynocologists office, I couldn't lift my arm above my head for the breast exam, I told him..."I can't do it."

I told my Gyno my theory about the arthritis being a reaction to the BCG treatments and how I couldn't get those Doctors to admit it. He looked at me and said...."Interesting!"

I can tell you now, that if the arthritis gets any worse with BCG's I do not know how I will manage.

I just don't think the Doctors have looked into this enough.

But they are the Duke scholars, and not I.

Thanks for listening Buddy, and I hope you are doing well.

Your BC friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 3 weeks ago #4215 by Sandra
Replied by Sandra on topic Symptom of BCG's?
Hi Rosemary: You might just have great luck with Celebrex. It did wonders for me. I was diagnosed with left shoulder impingement/spur and was scheduled for surgery. At the time I literally could not lift my left arm and found it hard to do simple things - I started taking Celebrex. I took it for two months and cancelled my surgery. For some reason quit taking Celebrex a while after that but to this day my shoulder is without pain. That was over two years ago and have often thought I should start taking it again for all my other arthritic aches and pains.

Hope you get to the bottom of all this soon. Good luck with your next round of BCG, I will be pulling for you.

Take care BC Friend,
Sandra

Sandra
"Grandmothers are just antique little girls...."

17 years 3 weeks ago #4183 by Rosemary
I just have come from the Rheumatologist.  He took one look at my toe and said, "I know what that is.  Do you have psoriasis?"  And of course, I do.   He said that I have psoriatic arthritis and "sausage toe" is a classic symptom.  The Dr. said he does not have other patients on BCG's and he does not know of a correlation, but that it was possible, and yet he didn't think so.  (BTW, this Doctor is also a Duke graduate.  I do have confidence in him.)

When I google psoriatic arthritis/BCG/Bladder cancer, I do get some hits, and there has been a speculation that psoriatic arthritis may be a reaction to BCG treatments.  It is RARE.  And it looks like you must be in possession of a certain specific gene which is hereditary.  The Dr. did test my blood for that gene, but haven't got the results as of yet.  He wants to know if my kids are a candidate for this arthritis.

I am now on my first permanent medication, CELEBREX, and I got a cortisone shot in the shoulder.

Thanks for listening to my saga,
Rosemary

PS.  

He said, "You are extremely healthy, except for Bladder Cancer"......that was nice to hear.  I suppose that all those years of eating High Fiber/Low Fat (the anti cancer diet) has paid off in some ways.

Also, this is Doctor #3 who wants me to continue with BCG treatments.

..."I can treat your arthritis." says he....

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

17 years 3 weeks ago #4119 by Rosemary
Hey, Joe,

I work for the Local County Government and we get 3.5 hours of sick leave every 2 weeks.  After 7 years, I had over 11 weeks of sick time on the books when I started all this (in January 2006).  But, I'm telling you, sick leave is like a savings account, cause once you start spending it, it soon fritters away.

I've still got enough time not to have to worry about it, though.

I bet you were a good truck driver.  I hope you are doing well.

Your friend,
Rosemary    

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

17 years 3 weeks ago #4110 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Symptom of BCG's?
LoL Rosemary I like to know where the hail you work I was a teamster Truck Driver here in the states made great money and most sick we got was 5 sick days per, I had 4 weeks vacation, 5 personals, and sick days you could not carry over. It was hard work but their are days I watch them 18 wheelers and I miss it. Best Wishes, Joe

17 years 4 weeks ago #4107 by Rosemary
PS

I do want to say, for the record, that I'm still working my 40 hour week. Since this ordeal began from dx to present time, I have had to use very little sick time (though more than I want to).  

There is still over 8 weeks of sick time on the books.  I'm so lucky that I have been so healthy up to this point.

Cheers to all and thanks for listening to my saga.

Your always friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne