First Poke and Peek post BCG

15 years 9 months ago #18717 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic First Poke and Peek post BCG
susant, the current "best thinking" in bladder cancer treatment is for the initial 6 bcg treatments to be followed about three months later with 3 more. There then may be additional maintenance treatments at three month intervals. It has been shown to improve response significantly. I DEFINITELY want to continue cancer-free for as long as possible and had planned to "demand" maintenance if my uro didn't suggest it. But he did and it is scheduled to start in mid-September.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #18708 by slabman
Replied by slabman on topic First Poke and Peek post BCG
Sara, I know how you fell since I felt the same way yesterday after my P&P. :cheer: As for celebrating, I wiped out my supply of Tequila and Triple Sec and even had to go out to get some more Marg. mix, but it was great fun! Now we need to get back to normal....well....maybe in a few more days.....

Bob
T1 G3
Age 66
DX April 2008
TURB April 2008
Last BCG (#15) April 2009

15 years 9 months ago #18707 by susant
Replied by susant on topic First Poke and Peek post BCG
What is maintenance? more of the bcg?

15 years 9 months ago #18694 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic First Poke and Peek post BCG
Great news Sara Anne! I did find I had a few more side effects with maintenance, but nothing severe. Everyone is different with reactions to BCG - just cross that bridge when you get to it.
Have fun tonight - you have earned it!

Nix

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

15 years 9 months ago #18693 by sara.anne
First Poke and Peek post BCG was created by sara.anne
Very nervously went to my uro today to see what the BCG had accomplished. ALL CLEAR!!! I had felt so lousy for several months (my internist and I think that it was due to all the inflammation in my bladder) and have been feeling MUCH better the past few weeks. Was able to discontinue the Urelle three weeks ago and the DetrolLA a week ago. So I sort of felt that things had cleared up...but you never know.

Urologist had scheduled maintenance starting mid-Sept. Said that if I find a protocol on line that I like better than the one he comes up with just to let him know!! He did warn me that just because I had no side effects with the first series of BCG that doesn't mean that I won't with the maintenance...Says that often patients become sensitized.

Think I will go out and "tie one on!!" Wish all of you guys who gave me such wonderful moral support could join me!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne