Newbie just diagnosed ? about bleeding

17 years 5 months ago #1822 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Newbie just diagnosed ? about bleeding
Hi,

during TUR either BT (or P = Prostate - Guys only!) a burn or direct cut is effected. This tends to bleed to a greater or lesser extent after surgery, which is why, both to ensure minimum pressure in the bladder pulling on the wound (however minor) and also to constantly wash the bladder to remove any free floating particles, blood and maintain a non acidic environment to aid healing a catheter is left in place and the output bag is checked for blood colorant.

Sometimes a large amount of fluid will be run into and out of the bladder through a two way catheter and it may take a couple of days before bleeding stops sufficiently to remove the catheter.

Anything from a week to a month later, again tending to be dependent on the amount of resection done the bladder interior surface will have healed adequately and the 'scab' that formed will float off - this may be passed in bits over a couple of days or sometimes as a single mass. Just as it is never right to pee claret and even rose should be taken seriously - although worrying peeing brown bits after an op or a grey/brown caterpillar is somewhat disconcerting but panic not it is just the scab.

As a simple guide - red colours are live or recent blood but brown or greyish tends to be long dead blood from a scab or similar. IF this lasts for more than a day or two take it seriously and contact your urology specvialist or Doctor.

You sound as if you have nothing to worry about even if it is hard to convince yourself that The Big C stands for Challenge and Choice and TUR in less medical terms is a Trans Urithral Reprieve ;)

Good luck and remember it is YOUR Bladder and YOU Choose when YOU need reassurance - that said never ever ever miss or delay a check up or treatment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 5 months ago #1820 by star
Replied by star on topic Newbie just diagnosed ? about bleeding
after the very first sugery -taking the tumor out I had pure blood type urin for over a week and the cath was in for 6 days. The scraping of the bladder each time you have a surgery you may spot or not. The Dr explained it like this: after a scope and a surgery to remove any mass{s} you have the cath removed 3 days later then your bladder heals. If you spot after or have some clots it could be the bladder scabs have broke open. EX; when you cut your self and a scab forms later you break opren that scab=bleeding then it heals again -same with your bladder.
I have had 4 surgeries since feb 06 and going for round 3 of BCG and each time the cath comes home with me then cuz of my job I sit for 2 weeks while the bladder heals
lifting etc... can cause the bladder scabs to open and spotting in your urin.
I hope this helps some what. star ;)

17 years 5 months ago #1818 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Newbie just diagnosed ? about bleeding
Hey,

I was cauterized with my TUR's so, I think that would make a difference in the fact that I had no clots or bleeding after tumor removals.

I imagine that after the tumor removal and no cauterization, then you would have
normal clots and bleeding, but I'm just guessing.

Maybe someone else has a more informative answer.

By the way, welcome. :D

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 5 months ago #1817 by fofinjo
Hi all, I'm new. Just registered. I'm 61 y/o female, non smoker. Was diagnosed 10-17 with TaGrade2, and 2.5 centimeter tumor removed during what was to be routine cysto. I've never even had a bladder infection. Pls forgive if I'm not using correct lingo here. Question is this: for the first week, I had nice, pretty pee- very little pain. After a week and a half on a weekend ( of course ) I had one occasion of blood with a clot. Called the office and a PA told me this was normal healing. Now I'm mostly peeing clear yellow with an occasional bit of blood maybe every 5th time I pee. I'm studying BCG - dr. says I'm right on the cusp as to whether I need it or not. I feel pretty certain I'm going to go ahead and do it as much as it frightens me, but I've just had a flu shot so need to wait a bit. Should I be more worried about this little bit of bleeding or is that just normal healing? Thanks. This forum is really healpful.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne