I might not do it

15 years 10 months ago #17660 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic I might not do it
I found the following that I thought might be helpful for those who don't know what BCG is...or how it works:

TURB is usually followed by treatment administered within the bladder to rid the organ of any tumor cells that broke off during TURB. Called intravesical therapy, this type of immunotherapy uses the body’s own immune system to fight cancer. The agent most often used for intravesical treatment is bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG), a form of bacteria that is sometimes used as a tuberculosis vaccine. The treatment is typically given once a week for six weeks, and although much of the drug is washed out during urination, a good amount remains in the bladder.

Researchers believe BCG works by alerting the cells lining the bladder of a brewing infection, which results in infection-fighting white blood cells rushing to the bladder. But unlike the normal chain of events that occurs with urinary tract infections, Dr. O’Donnell says BCG causes the white blood cells to release a tumor-killing compound called TRAIL (tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand) that is effective in destroying cancer cells but spares normal cells. Chemotherapy agents, such as Valstar® (valrubicin), Mutamycin® (mitomycin)‚ Adriamycin® (doxorubicin) or Thioplex® (thiotepa), may also be used for intravesical therapy.

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #17659 by tate
Replied by tate on topic I might not do it
susant,

when are you scheduled to have your 1st bcg? Please let us know and post as much as you need to. we will be here for support!!!

extra thoughts and prayers heading your way. I am sooo happy you will accept the bcg.

-tate

15 years 10 months ago #17654 by slabman
Replied by slabman on topic I might not do it
Now Susan....give up the worries. I just had my 6th treatment today and have had absolutely no problems except for the frequent urinations this afternoon and evening. But by tomorrow that will be gone and all back to normal. No way do you NOT want to take advantage of this procedure, considering what it's omission might lead to down the road. Then you'll really regret it, girl. Besides, you'll have to face the wrath of us on this board-that might be even worse. Now go do it!!!! >:( :)

Bob
T1 G3
Age 66
DX April 2008
TURB April 2008
Last BCG (#15) April 2009

15 years 10 months ago #17648 by susant
Replied by susant on topic I might not do it
I am going to do it , but i am still scared. even if I believe you all saying it isn't bad.
I am so tired now. I asked the doctor and he said from the operation and because thinking about it can make you tired too. He said soon this will be over and I will get back to regular. Is he right? guess I will find out . :'(

15 years 10 months ago #17625 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic I might not do it
Susan, I had 6 BCG treatments with little side effects. I am anxious to start my next 3 maintenance treatments.

Joe

15 years 10 months ago #17618 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic I might not do it
Dear Susan,

BCG is much easier on your body than bladder cancer!! I think you should give it a try. Some people have no side effects at all.

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne