dealing with post-cystoscopy pain during urination

17 years 5 months ago #2179 by mankoff
My urologist recommended uristat. Is pyridium more effective in reducing burning after cystoscopy? I was going to take a percocet as well next time I have to deal with a routine test.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 5 months ago #2174 by Mike
Pyridium and Ditropan as a combo post procedure will help spasms, the sensation of urgency and burning.

Of course not all meds work for all people.

RoseMary, I am curious what kind of bad experiences you have had with anti-spasmodics? Do you have bad side effects with any other medications?

Anesthesia is an alternative for Cystoscopy. Some doctors also offer valium or two to take an hour or so before the procedure.

Not all insurances will pay for anesthesia if they think it is unesccesary--which cracks me up. Before they deny any claim they should have to have the procedure done themselves. They should take the view that if someone wants anesthesia for a procedure let them have it. It beats having patients being intimidated and NOT having the procedure. It would cost them a lot less in the long run. Preventitive medicine=preventitive testing!

17 years 5 months ago #1763 by mankoff
It is definitely an alternative. If people have a urologist who doesn't do it, find another one. You truly have no awareness anything is being done to you. Just awaken and wonder if it's happened already.

My uro does urine tests before and occasionally does a biopsy (this is when I have the burning pain for a few days) so there are lab reports. I'm also recently on something called theralogic 2.1which is like Lamm's oncovite (but less vitamin A from problematic source) and he says it seems to reduce tumor recurrence in his patients. We'll see.
Basically, i try to check out national library of public medicine site for new research and, of course, living well is the best revenge!

My cat is half yours' size . Once saw a 33lb one in my apt building. elevator so yours has room for "improvement."

milt

17 years 5 months ago #1760 by wendy
"I get the impression that many people aren't aware this is an alternative, not to mention having the little buggers zapped by laser instead of going through the more unpleasant turb with cutting."

Hi, you mean the conscious sedation part? Is that actually alternative?

About the laser treatments, many folks I know are too nervous to skip the pathology, even though studies have shown uros are 94% correct in identifying low grade tumors as such. But you're certainly correct it's a less morbid type of tumor removal the a TUR.

Thanks, my cat is now a gigantic version of himself, about 18 lbs, that picture is getting old! His name is Pu-Yi (last emporer of China) and he's one mellow dude.

Wendy

17 years 5 months ago #1759 by mankoff
thanks a lot. yes, they are always low grade...2 recurrences in the five years. last one in 9/05. i don;t mind the 4 month intervels, but i'll check out the site. I receive conscious sedation every time so i'm not really aware of the proceedure other than the lidocaine gel being put in. i prefer to keep it that way as well. i know what they're doing, but i don't have a need to truly experience it to build character.

I get the impression that many people aren't aware this is an alternative, not to mention having the little buggers zapped by laser instead of going through the more unpleasant turb with cutting.

i'm unfamiliar with anti-spasmodics. my uro says the pain is from the cysto itself , particularly if he takes a piece of me for biopsying. so i'm not sure if that makes anti-spasmodics useful or not..

cute cat, by the way. mine's black and white Milt

17 years 5 months ago #1758 by Rosemary
I' m not worried about taking the pain killers. I just don't want to take them. There is a difference.

And then, I've had very bad experiences systemically with anti-spasmodics. Very bad.

So, I don't even fill the prescriptions.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help. I guess the point of my post (tho very disguised) was to look around and ask questions. I can't tell you what a big help and support I have had with my local health-food/supplement stores.

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne