dealing with post-cystoscopy pain during urination

17 years 5 months ago #1756 by wendy
Hi,

Do you receive lidocaine gel before the scope? That supposedly helps with the immediate procedure, and I've heard that people get anti-spasmatics like Detrol and pyridium for the discomfort afterwards. And of course pain killers. Some folks like Rosemary aren't comfortable with the idea of taking drugs but I'm one of those wimpy types that hates pain and would take whatever I needed to feel ok.

If these are definitely grade I, Ta recurrences and they are not there at every 4 month cystoscopy, there is info out there saying that time between cystos can safely be spaced further apart without any ill effects on survival and outcome. I mention this because cystos are invasive procedure with side effects over time (like incontinence, esp. for women) and some doctors overtreat. There is some info about ta, G1 tumors on this page:
blcwebcafe.org/superficialblca.asp

All the best,
Wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 5 months ago #1755 by mankoff
thanks for the suggestion. i don't think you should be concerned about heavy-hitting painkillers for a very short-time.

17 years 5 months ago #1751 by Rosemary
Hey!

I'm with you on the pain. I've been having it + bleeding for about 1 1/2 hours after BCG's. It feels like peeing razor blades. Miserable.

You know, I never have taken the pain meds or anti-spasmodics. I just don't want to.

I do have a home remedy that seems to help ease my pain, but like you, I wonder if it would have eased off anyway.

By the time I go back to the Dr., the urine is "crystal clear"....I'm wondering if that is such a good thing too. I'm sure it's the herbs.

I take my herbs and I pour brandy over them. I don't know if it's working for my good, but that tablespoon of brandy (soaked in oak barrels) sure feels good going all the way down.

Sometimes, I take two tablespoons. Then, I am able to take a nap. :D

Anyway, I am very loathe to share my "tonic" because even though, I read a lot about herbs, I'm really just stabbing in the dark. Plus, I never know if there would be contraindications, messing with someone else's disease.

But, it seems to work for me. :o

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 5 months ago #1750 by mankoff
I've had superficial bladder cancer and have had a cystoscopy every 4 months since 2001. I've been lucky so far--just a few low grade recurrences that have been lasered as an in-patient. Normally, for anywhere between 1-3 days after the cystoscopy I experience very unpleasant burning when I urinate. The it goes away. I've tried takiing vicodin immediately after the proceedure with some success, but the last two times when a biopsy was taken (negative as it turned out) the vicodin didn't help much. The problem is the proc eedure not any urinary tract infection.
My doctor suggested taking uristat, but the pain was probably subsiding when i started so it's hard to know if it helped or not. Any other suggestions? Percocet (a bit stronger than vicodin)? Home remedies.?Avoiding certain foods like citrus fruits, tomatoes. My next test is in Feb and I prefer to have as good a gameplan as possible. Email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne