bcg , what is it

15 years 10 months ago #17344 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic bcg , what is it
Susan, I am two weeks past my 6 week BCG treatments. I know how you feel...I was terrified. Turned out it was very easy. The treatments themselves took about 10 minutes and were very tolerable. Afterwards, for that afternoon, I had burning and urgency and that was it. The last week I had a lot of fatigue, but that happens to me anyway and may not have been the BCG.

If you read carefully the information on this web site, you will see that bladder cancer is very treatable. For resistent papillary or CIS, BCG is the first line of defense. Even if that doesn't work, there are other options that are very successful.

Good luck to you and keep "hanging out" with us on this forum....the people here have been there, done that and are a great resource.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #17339 by tate
Replied by tate on topic bcg , what is it
Hi Susan,

I will let the BCG experts give you the details...but what I can tell you is that I had the lowest form of bladder cancer (Ta) and I am 1/2 way through the BCG treatments. I tell you the 1st week prior was the worst for me through out this whole cancer thing. The only reason I am having the treatments is because the size of my cancer...normally they do not do BCG for Ta.

BCG is not as harsh as the normal chemo that we have heard about...

That 1st week (before the treatment) I was a mess...I think everything had just built up. then when I went I told the nurse my fears and she spent time explaining and calming me down...and it really has been fine. My biggest problem has been fatigue...but a lot of people have no symptoms afterwards. Week 2 I had alittle burning and a little yeast infection but that did not last long- and this Thursday when I had my 3rd treatment- think I was less fatiqued then before and so far no yeast.

the actual treatment does not hurt...just a little uncomfortable...my nurse said that some nurses do not use a numbing jell but she does and I think that helps...so you may want to see if they will use it especially since you are feeling anxious about the procedure.

I think bcg is more a line of defense and I don't think you need to get ahead of yourself with worrying about dying at this point...Do you know what stage/grade of bc that you have. What procedures have you had for a diagnosis? any surgery? Also, where do you live?

Try to stay positive, I know it is hard but it can help. Remember we will be here for you if you want to vent or chat

((hugs))
-Tate

15 years 10 months ago #17333 by susant
bcg , what is it was created by susant
Going to have bcg soon , i guess.

Does it hurt, and will i get sick like they say people do with chemothrapy.
I was at er once, will i have to go with this bcg things?

I'm getting scared of all this. Does my doctor think i am going to die from cancer. Is that why I am getting this treatment?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne