Working bladders grown from progenitor cells

15 years 10 months ago #17111 by momof4
I am sure that when it gets to the point of human trials in the area of bladder cancer...they will probably use "Donor" cells from relatives similar to bone marrow transplants...it is in it infancy but the possibilities are awesome...

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #17104 by ale53
My impression mirrors Pat's. If the time comes for my bladder to go and I need a new one, I'm not sure I'd want one made from my own bladder cells.

I'll wait to see how these large mammals do further out than 6 months. Do large mammals even get bladder cancer? Anyone know what the standard animal model for human bladder cancer is for studying prospective drugs, neobladders, etc?

It would be more pertininent for us if the researchers used an animal model where they start with animals that have had bladder tumors and then start the neobladder from a biopsy of the animal's "normal" tissue.

Who do you think they would be enrolling in their human studies? Curious what the criteria might be. Any clue how long it takes to grow the new bladder in culture?

Interesting stuff...so many questions left to answer...but I am thankful that people/companies are spending their talents/efforts/money to address these issues!

Best wishes,
Lynn

34yo
Seattle, WA
dx,TURBT 1/08
Ta, low grade

15 years 10 months ago #16976 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Working bladders grown from progenitor cells
If however the progenitor cells come from our own cancer stricken bladder isn't the liklihood of our developing bladder cancer still exist?...I can see where this will be great for especially the kids with spina diffida who have indwelling catheters which make them more prone to blc.
When they take the cells from a diseased bladder either from blc or interstitial cystitis and it takes without recurrence i'll be a believer.
Hope it works.........Pat

15 years 10 months ago #16969 by momof4
Groover...I posted about this a few months ago...AWESOME isn't it! Here is a video. This company is located in the same town where I live. This Dr. Atala (at Wake Forest Baptist Hospital) created this with an ink jet printer!!! I will be getting stock in this company very soon...they are on the cutting edge of this science!!

www.tengion.com/

Unbelievable!!!
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 10 months ago #16968 by slabman
Replied by slabman on topic Working bladders grown from progenitor cells
WOW! :) That is very positive news. Think about how this might evolve. When diagnosed, you may have the option of conventional cysto and BCG, etc. or to simply grow a new bladder and implant. Isn't medical science wonderful?

Bob
T1 G3
Age 66
DX April 2008
TURB April 2008
Last BCG (#15) April 2009

15 years 10 months ago #16963 by Groover
Well, no promises, though this just has to be positive news - especially since human clinal trials are stated as being likely to start within the coming year.

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) May 19, 2008 - Months after being implanted into research animals, "neo-bladders" created from progenitor cells appear to function much like natural bladders, researchers have shown.

By Anthony J. Brown, MD

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Months after being implanted into research animals, "neo-bladders" created from progenitor cells appear to function much like natural bladders, researchers have shown.

Stem cells become progenitor cells on the way to becoming specialized cells forming particular types of tissue. Neo-bladders are created by removing bladder progenitor cells during bladder biopsies, growing the cells in culture and then seeding them onto a biodegradable bladder-shaped scaffold made out of collagen or other material.

Since the recipient's own progenitor cells are used to create the bladder, the need for immune-suppressing drugs to prevent rejection is eliminated.

This is the "first time a complete internal organ has been regenerated and shown to grow, develop normal or near-normal function, and support life for an extended period of time," Dr. Timothy Bertram told Reuters Health from the annual meeting of the American Urological Association in Orlando, Florida.

In the study, Bertram and colleagues from Tengion, Inc. in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, implanted neo-bladders into 14 large mammals whose original bladders were removed surgically.

Within 6 months, the neo-bladders looked and acted like natural bladders. According to Bertram, the new organs had a full blood supply system and network of nerves, and were correctly connected to other organs. Moreover, no abnormal tissues were noted and there was no evidence of an immune reaction.

"This work holds the promise that someday this technology may be used to regenerate bladders for patients who have lost bladder function," Bertram said, or when cancer or other diseases require removal of the entire bladder.

"We anticipate that in the coming year we may begin human clinical trials in the US with the neo-bladder replacement product," he added.

Source:
mobile.reuters.com/mobile/m/FullArticle/CHLT/nhealthNews_uUSPAT96693420080519?src=RSS-HLT

TIM, living in Belgium

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne