in-city support groups

15 years 11 months ago #15881 by Lost in the Fog
Replied by Lost in the Fog on topic in-city support groups
Thank you for the support! I think the ideas are defnitely worth following up on. Today I was thinking that I probably won't have more of those (to me) catastrophic events. Or at least I hope not. The initial event has come and gone and I can probably deal with future stress with the support from this forum as well as long distance phone calls to my family (who would come out and stay with me if I needed help). I am trying to think of a way to turn a negative into a positive. You folks do that by participating in this form, reaching out and helping others. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #15871 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic in-city support groups
Dear Lost in the Fog,

I don't live in Seattle but close by....I did reside in Lynnwood for 25 years and about two years ago, moved to Mt. Vernon so I have a long commute into work every day. I was dx'd in March 07, did chemo and then surgery last July...returned to work just last month. I am lucky, for there is life afte BC.

My family is 3000 miles away....my spouse was initally into denial about my BC and did not want me to do the surgery so he was not very "there for me" emotionally when I first began my journey. My kids are in college and were not prepared nor knew how to deal with my situation. Some of my closest friends became more distant because they couldn't deal with the idea of it, while others became closer to me.
I am a person of faith and so drew closer to God and was strengthened. But my greatest source of earthly support was this forum and the wonderful, caring souls who responsed to my questions & concerns.

It seems to me that somewhere in the Seattle area you should be able to find a group that meets at least monthly. I did not find one out in my area but Seattle has lots going on so I would hope you can find one. I will be in class Mon. & Tues. this week but if you wish to call me and leave your phone number, I will get back to you. I will PM you with my cell phone number. I know how alone you must feel but really you aren't...those of us who have experienced that sense of isolation, well, its the pits. But once you realize you have so many friends here on the web, you will feel less and less alone. Trust me on this one. Take care, and sending you hugs down I-5. Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

15 years 11 months ago #15846 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic in-city support groups
Lost in the Fog,

I would call them and see if it is required that you are a patient to go to the meetings. I would think they would be hapy to help you out.
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 11 months ago #15845 by Lost in the Fog
Replied by Lost in the Fog on topic in-city support groups
That looks like a great spot for support. I'd have to change my doctor though. Well, if it ever gets to the point where I would have to have my bladder removed, then I would probably end up going to UW Med Center and then I could use those services.

15 years 11 months ago #15843 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic in-city support groups
Hi Lost in the Fog in Seattle........here's one that looks good....we all need support............www.seattlecca.org/patientsandfamilies/spiritual/supportGroups.htm
Pat

15 years 11 months ago #15842 by Lost in the Fog
in-city support groups was created by Lost in the Fog
Hi, I have another question that my be unanswerable, but what the heck...

Here I am, a 52-yr old single woman with a poor support network in my city. My loved ones who would be able to support me are hours away by car and plane. (Family that live closer to me are in a stage of life where I support them, not the other way around.) When I was first diagnosed I had to drive myself to the hospital and have an emergency cystoscopy. No one was there to see the doctor afterward. I have never felt so alone.

This is a wonderfully supportive group but I wonder if there are additional in-city support groups I might be looking to join? I saw a great documentary on PBS recently called "The Truth About Cancer"....I highly recommend this...you can probably buy it from PBS. Anyway, one doctor commented on how common it was for single women to have very little support and how important it was for them emotionally/psychologically. I believe it. I'm in Seattle by the way. What do you think? ::)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne