need input!! plz.....

16 years 6 days ago #15809 by slabman
Replied by slabman on topic need input!! plz.....
My Doc has me on Cipro before my first instillation and I believe will keep me on it during all treatments for this reason. Isn't this the norm for these treatments? What have others done?

Bob
T1 G3
Age 66
DX April 2008
TURB April 2008
Last BCG (#15) April 2009

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 1 week ago #15778 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic need input!! plz.....
The BCG is not supposed to cause an infection and rarely does in people who have normal immune systems. It does, however, cause an immune response which is the basis for using it as an immunization against tuberculosis. It's use as an immune system stimulant helps in fighting bladder cancer locally.
If the BCG were actually the cause of a UTI, it would have to be treated with antituberculous drugs. It is expected that when you empty your bladder after your treatment that you will get rid of all the BCG. If that wasn't the case, repeat instillations wouldn't be necessary... but the risks would probably be too high to use it as a treatment.
A variety of things increase our risk of developing a UTI - instrumentation of the urinary tract, even catheterization; inflammation of the bladder, an expected side effect of BCG treatment; and incomplete emptying of the bladder. Once a UTI is established, the bacteria in the urinary tract multiply more quickly that they can be urinated out so antibiotics are used. I am assuming that you doctor felt this was a routine, complicating UTI since his choice of treatment was Cipro, an antibiotic used to treat many common UTIs.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 1 week ago #15766 by gina
Replied by gina on topic need input!! plz.....
hi rosemary!...yeppers...i was just tested on monday and thursday when i returned i had an infection!...why?...

16 years 1 week ago #15763 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic need input!! plz.....
Gina,

I am not replying to your question to Warren. (Hi, Warren!!)

I have a question....are you routinely being tested for infection (via urinalysis) on the day of your treatment and BEFORE the induction of BCG??

Regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 1 week ago #15757 by gina
Replied by gina on topic need input!! plz.....
warren..i am confused...are you saying that the bcg isn't the cause of the urinary tract infection?...thanks!

16 years 1 week ago #15750 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic need input!! plz.....
The BCG isn't supposed to cause an infection. The immune response to BCG is what makes it work. BCG doesn't respond to ordinary antibiotics used to treat UTI like Cipro, so the BCG response won't be affected.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne