need input!! plz.....

15 years 10 months ago #17173 by slabman
Replied by slabman on topic need input!! plz.....
I just got over my urinary tract infection, winding up taking Bactrim to kill it off. So when I went in for treatment #4, there was a question on whether I could do it with the Bactrim in my system. The Doc finally said to go ahead, but he did NOT want me taking it again...or Cipro either. I guess the thought is it will kill off the virus they are introducing with the BCG. Seems to make sense, but we really do need to watch those infections. I still have some Bactrim on hand and will use it the instant I get another infection. Don't want to go through that again.

Bob
T1 G3
Age 66
DX April 2008
TURB April 2008
Last BCG (#15) April 2009

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #17168 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic need input!! plz.....

Am two weeks past my 6th BCG...so I am now an expert!! Anyway, they always checked my urine before the BCG. In addition to being sure that I wasn't bleeding or showing signs of infection, the nurse said that they can also get an idea of how the bladder might be reacting from signs of cellular debris. They did not give me antibiotics. If there was any sign of infection (was once) they postponed the BCG for a week until it was treated.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

15 years 10 months ago #17167 by sarahlee
Replied by sarahlee on topic need input!! plz.....
Gina, Nancy says to have an antibiotc , thats what I thought to, and checking the urine seems like a good idea to, my original surgens office checked the urine and gave me an antibiotic before the bcg but I went to another office and asked if Id get an atibiotic they said oh no not with the bcg and the didnt check my urine first for infection . what is the right thing for them to do, I have my third of six tomarrow?thanks if you know ???

15 years 11 months ago #15877 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic need input!! plz.....
Gina,
For sure I would request (or demand) an antibiotic on the day of the BCG. Any time you have a catheter there is a chance of an infection.
I can't promise it is worth it - however I can tell you so far so good for me. I have had the initial 6 wks and two maintenance (3 wks each) so far it looks good, and this is the best proven course to follow.
So just hope for the best - Good Luck
If I can help in any way please ask!!

Nancy S

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

15 years 11 months ago #15874 by gina
Replied by gina on topic need input!! plz.....
hi nancy!!...nope...none the day of...but, for the #2 and #3 i was given "one" antibiotic for the day after!!....they put me on cipro for a week after last dose..#4 and i am on schedule for #5 tommorrow!...my uro called last night and said i could stop if i wanted..it's been rough this week...but, i am "going for broke"...i just hope i can make it to #6!!! it seems like most here do fine with their treatments..mine just keep getting "worse"....sigh...i only hope it's worth it!! i can't wait to hear the words.."cancer free"...smiles...healing thoughts to all..gina

15 years 11 months ago #15868 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic need input!! plz.....
Hi Gina,
I have a urine test before each BCG and Cipro for two days after each installation. If I have an infection, we hold off on the BCG for a week until it is cleared. Cipro will not affect the BCG. Did you receive any antibiotics on the day of BCG?

Nancy S

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne