Mom having 2nd scraping done, so afraid....advice?

17 years 5 months ago #1615 by momof3
Thanks Star! I am praying you have a quick and painfree as possible turb on Monday.

I appreciate your response!

Good luck and keep us posted :)
CHeryl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 5 months ago #1594 by star
Cheryl, more than one scraping is common. I am on my 4th come Mon the 16th. I can say mine was very large and took up 1/2 my bladder. The tumor sits there and as you move it sheds cells therefore not knowing how long a tumor has been there there are dormit cells chiilin till they become active. That is how it was explained to me.
I started in Feb 06 and now going on my 3rd BCG treatment. You can take a huge breath and a {{{{hug}}}} for ya. Star

17 years 5 months ago #1567 by momof3
I am so thankful for this board. Thank you very much for your reply. That makes sense. When you hear other people's stories that are similar to your own (or your family), it helps so much.

All the best to you also, and I will try to keep positive and have confidence.

Thanks again,

Cheryl

17 years 5 months ago #1561 by mikmckna
Cheryl,

What yur refer to as a "2nd Scraping" sounds very much like what is refered to as a "Re-Staging TURBT". As my Uro explained to me after my initial TURBT, it's messy in there when I start resecting a tumor. I'm looking trough a scope there is fluid flushing through your bladder and a lot of things going on. A 2nd look is almost always a good idea.

He was pretty sure there was some tumor that he did not get but keep in mind... he found 5 tumors when he peaked inside. Cheryl, I can not begin to say that everything will be peachie with your mom but it sounds like things are superficial. That is excellent. If you read the stories here you'll find many folks that were diagnosed with further progression and they are still telling their stories. Hang in there... consider 2nd opinions and by all means... have confidence!

Believe in yourself,
Mike
T1-G3, CIS
RC w/ Neobladder 8/22/06

17 years 5 months ago #1560 by momof3
Thank you very much for your reply. I will definately try the deep breathing to try to relax and think clearly. I am worrying unnecessary I hope, and your post helps me put it in perspective.

Thank you again, truly,

Cheryl

17 years 5 months ago #1559 by rentanag
Cheryl,

I think your guess as to it being a pre-surgery consultation is probably right on the money, don't let your fear take over.  I understand there's alot going on not only with your Mother but also your Father, and that has to be scaring you half to death.  I lost both my parents in the past year, my Mom (86 and not from cancer) on 30 October 2005 and Dad (88 and not from cancer) 12 January 2006, and so I can understand your concerns about both of them confronting cancer at the same time (although I know your Dad's is not confirmed yet).  It does sound like it must be superficial or I doubt they would wait so long to take another look.  You also report that "it was a slow growing tumor", which is another reason you can worry a little less.  Their perhaps not getting it all during the last TURBT is not uncommon and coming back now for another look will probably be beneficial as it will give them an opportunity to study whatever might have been left from before and also to see if there has been any new growth.
I don't know if I suggested to you about the deep breathing technique for relaxation previously, but it would be a good thing for you to try again or for the first time which ever.  I hope your Father's results will be good news, and the same for your Mother.  Do let us know how they're both doing, and know we'll keep you all in our thoughts and prayers.

Lou Graham

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne