UROGRAPHY during BCG?

16 years 1 week ago #15402 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic UROGRAPHY during BCG?
Eduardo,

The timing for this urography does seem to be off a beat or two. It kind of seems like the Urography would have been very pertinent previous to this point in time for determining a method of treatment (which is already in progress).

Please keep us posted as to how this is going. Your Medical protocols in the UK are so different from ours here in the States. We do have a Moderator on board here by the name of Tim B who lives in the UK and has lots of knowledge of working with your Healthcare System. Tim has also had the radical cystectomy surgery. He would be a good person to talk to if you run into snags working with the Doctors, etc.

At this point, I just feel that your father's experience with Dx and treatment is just a bit out of rhythm. This does not really help to foster feelings of confidence in the provided health care. I guess you'll just have to stay on top of how things go from here on in and try to have a Plan B available as an option.

Please keep me posted.

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 1 week ago #15401 by Eduardo
Replied by Eduardo on topic UROGRAPHY during BCG?
Thanks for your reply Rosemary,
I will try to explain better now.

My father had hematuria in January. He went to the Public Health Service and the Dr put him in a waiting list to get an urography.
Somehow, they managed to get a CT scan and an endoscopy early in January - multifocal superficial tumours were found in his bladder -; he has already had the surgery and he is actually undergoing BCG treatment now.

This is just bad communication with the Dr as this is the original urography the Dr scheduled in January. Obviously, the Public Health Service has mixed up papers and has not noticed that my father has already had surgery and is currently going through BCG treatment.

Yesterday they got a call - I don´t live in Spain but in the UK - , were asked to go today to the hospital for an urography and questions came up. THey thought the liquid used to do the urography might not be compatible with the BCG treatment.

They have finally contacted the Dr and asked him. He is getting the urography done today.
They just tend to panic when they can not understand something and for some reason they do not ask the Dr inmediatly...
I guess is part of the process, the fears and the situation itself, but will try to change this tendency they have.

Thanks again,

Eduardo

16 years 1 week ago #15394 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic UROGRAPHY during BCG?
Eduardo,

I have never seen this question posed on this board before. I have searched the archives and still have come up with nothing.

I am guessing that the Doctors need the Urogram for diganostic purposes, perhaps to check for cancer in the upper urinary tract. I'm not sure what solution is used, but from the scanty information that I am reading in your post, if the cancer is that widespread around the bladder, it seems that the test might be in order.

I'm a strong advocate of second opinions, and feel that another opinion might be appropriate at this point in your Father's Dx.

Please let us know what you find out when your talk to the Doctor.

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 1 week ago #15389 by Eduardo
UROGRAPHY during BCG? was created by Eduardo
Hi everybody,
My father has been called to have an urography tomorrow. Apparently, this was the original one the urologist scheduled in January, but they managed to get a CT scan and do an endoscopy instead of the urography.

He had the TURB at 01/24/08 and diagnosed with T1 G3 widespread throughout the bladder and prostatic urethra.

He started BCG (3-month treatment)the 02/11/08.

Therefore, he is still in the period of BCG treatment.
He is having next TURB in May and we wonder if this urography would be unappropiate at this stage as I have read that a special liquid has to be injected.

We cant get in contact with the doctor... if anybody knows, please let us know if it´s worth getting this urography or is better to wait until the BCG treatment is finished.

Thank you very much,

Peace

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne