Fatigue Anyone?

15 years 11 months ago #15382 by gina
Replied by gina on topic Fatigue Anyone?
slabman...i also experianced bouts with fatigue...prior to my being diagnosed...but as already mentioned i chalked it off to getting older...i am 51...i also had been struggling with anemia and continue to have low potassium levels...both of which can cause fatigue...prior to my turb my iron levels were at a more normal rate and my potassium was up to a "safe" level...still being on the low side...i do not want to discourage anyone...because i myself am not sure what is the cause of my current state...i have NEVER experianced fatigue of this severity...you mentioned taking pain pills...well, the fatigue i now am having reminds me of exactly that...being drugged...i am unable to wake...or even function at times....

personally i am thinking that as mentioned many times here...each case is different and each of us will experiance different symptoms...sharing what we experiance will encourage others who have the same issues...it is just nice to have a place where there are others who can "really" understand and empathize with us...thanks to all responsible for this wonderful forum!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #15374 by slabman
Replied by slabman on topic Fatigue Anyone?
In the interests of brevity I probably haven't mentioned as much of my history as I chould have. In Dec 2006 I had elective back surgery, followed by a staph infection. So back to the hosp. for another surgery to cut out the infected bone down there. This was followed with 6 weeks of IV treatments twice a day. Soon after I started healing (1-2 mos) I would feel a dull pain in my lower abdomen when sitting up from bed or the couch. I put it down to a weakness in the lower gut due to the back surgeries, yet it just didn't make sense. I ended up in the ER a couple more times, thinking the staph infection had not been eliminated. All the time that lower gut discomfort would continue every time I moved from a prone to upright position. I now feel that was the tumor growing in my bladder.

During the last months of 2007 I began to fatigue more and more. We were living/traveling in our motorhome and I'd have to stop right after lunch for a nap. My wife was so disgruntled over this 'cause she wanted to get where we were going and I was holding up our travel progress.

Finally, blood appeared in my urine 2 months ago and a family Doc gave me the usual Rx for a bladder infection and that seemed to cure it...or so I thought. Then about 3 weeks ago the blood came back big time. Scarey? You bet!

That led to a trip to the uro and an ultrasound. When the tech called in her radiologist to re-check my reading, I knew I was in trouble. As I left, she said to me "I'm sorry". It confirmed to me something big time was up. What a feeling....I know all of you have experienced that as well.

So, while I have not received my first BCG as yet, I continue to have this fatigue, which has increased even more to the point of being tired ALL the time. Blood tests show I am NOT anemic, so that's out. After that cysto I had a week to put up with a catheter...not a pleasant experience. I slept almost all day, although I was taking
Hodrocodone for my discomfort. Now that I'm off any drugs, the fatigue continues very strongly.

Does any of this track with what others have experienced? I can only imagine my fatigue AFTER I begin BCG treatment.

Bob
T1 G3
Age 66
DX April 2008
TURB April 2008
Last BCG (#15) April 2009

15 years 11 months ago #15373 by Friday
Replied by Friday on topic Fatigue Anyone?
For what it is worth, I get really tired after a turbt & I need a lot of rest. I think some people are up and about easily, but it takes me some time. Good luck with your bcg & I hope you get good rest and are feeling better soon.

L.

15 years 11 months ago #15371 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic Fatigue Anyone?
Gina,
I too, am very tired the day after my BCG. Mine did not affect me until my maintenance round. I am only extremely tired the day after, then I am fine. Everybody reacts differently, my URO said the tiredness is a side effect of BCG. Good luck on the remaining three!
Nancy

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

15 years 11 months ago #15370 by gina
Replied by gina on topic Fatigue Anyone?
rosemary....well your "theory"...could be correct..except, i AM old!! and prior to the bcg i was full of energy!...when i speak of fatigue, i am refering to more than just a "tired" feeling...it is an overwhelming need for sleep...prior if i napped, i could easily wake after a few minutes of rest...this is very different and i've never experianced this before!...it began the week of my second bcg treatment and has increased with my third!!...if it's not the bcg than something else is very wrong...it has effected my ability to do my daily activities!...i mentioned the first few days of it to my doctor this week and she gave me a second antibiotic to take the day after my treatment!...sigh...the saga continues...

15 years 11 months ago #15369 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Fatigue Anyone?
Slab,

Fatigue has been an incresing problem for me over the last 5 years or so. I attribute it to old age ;D

Actually, seriously, I don't know if the Bladder Cancer or the BCG treatments are a direct cause. Some have suggested because of my frequent urination that it may be because of sleep apnea. That would make sense as 2 others in my family have been diagnosed.

I can't tell you how much I enjoy my long naps in my chair. I'm usually asleep by 7:30 in the evenings and then get up and go to bed and sleep on for 8 more hours.

I'm also starting to wonder about chronic fatigue syndrome.

Let me know if you find out anything.

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne