BCG Treatment

17 years 5 months ago #1543 by Scotty
Replied by Scotty on topic BCG Treatment
Thanks everyone for your remarks and concerns. Reading the replys here make it easy to understand what they are going to do. I will keep everyone posted after I start my treatments.
Scotty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 5 months ago #1542 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic BCG Treatment
Scott,

Just to let you know that you are not alone.  I go for my second (3x) round of BCG's starting October 10.
So, I will be going through the same thing on the same day.

It's not so bad really. :)

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 5 months ago #1540 by imagerbob
Replied by imagerbob on topic BCG Treatment
I am also 57 y/o and have been under treatment over 4 years now. I had 12 BCG treatments divided into two groups. The last few treatments with BCG were awful. Pain, flu-like symptoms, burning urination. I have also had two different regimens of mitomiacin treatments. The last few treatments have irritated my bladder lining so badly that they now want to take it out. I am passing red blood and black clots when I pee. Considerable pain when urinating. The mito. left a place in my bladder that won't heal properly. The docs at Vanderbilt think I should have bladder removed to stop the pain. Last cysto showed no tumors just this bleeding sore which tested negative for CA.
I just don't know how we're supposed to know the right thing to do.

Your first few BCG treatments should be OK. Be aware if you feel like you can't hold it for the full two hours. My abillity to hold it lessened as the treatment number increased. With some of my treatments they left the catheter in place so I couldn't pee and I pulled it out at home after the treatment time had elapsed.

Have them use a small catheter. Inject the numbing medicine in your urethra and wait at least 15 or 20 minutes before they catheterize you helps to ease the pain. If you find one nurse who is gentle and good at what she does ask for her each time you schedule a follow-up. God bless you. Be strong and keep the percocets handy.

17 years 5 months ago #1535 by cta7978
Replied by cta7978 on topic BCG Treatment
Scotty,

I went through the standard six induction treatments, finished up about 3 months ago. I thought it was a walk in the park. Usually took the nurse about 5 minutes to catheterise me and pour in the BCG solution... Spent a little while sitting on the pot for a few hours. But with Pyridium pain pills, I was back to normal about 24 hours later. I made sure I had the treatments on a Friday afternoon as not to interfere with my work schedule.

Do you have any particular concerns?

Chris A.
Diagnosed T1G3 - 3/01/06
37 yo, Seattle, WA

17 years 5 months ago #1533 by Scotty
BCG Treatment was created by Scotty
Hi Everyone. I am new to fourm. I have been fighting bladder cancer for six years now. Five operations for tumor removal. Three after treatments with chemo. I am 57 years old. My doctor wants to try BCG. After reading these fourms I am a little concerned about the effects of this treatment. I guess I will find out as my treatments start on Oct 10th. It is sure nice to log on here and discuss with other people having. the same problem.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne