BCG Treatment

17 years 5 months ago #1737 by Scotty
Replied by Scotty on topic BCG Treatment
Hi All,
Had my third BCG treatment today. Three to go. Everything seems to be ok except for some unkown reason the doctor told me that the freezing they have been using has been taken off the market. It is the only one available in Canada. Not much fun let me tell you. Hurts for a while afterwards. I am also an insulin dependent diabetic and I can,t seem to get my sugar levels down since I started BCG. Has anyone else heard of this before. My doctor says to talk to family doctor.
Scotty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 5 months ago #1675 by star
Replied by star on topic BCG Treatment
I can say that in the last 9 months I have had 4 surgeries and going for round 3 of chemo {BCG} Since this all started in Feb-2006. The BCG is actually for me has been fine compared to other forms of chemo but then again the tumors are just chillin in my bladder vs going to the next stage. I can say the only real issue is the infections from the cath after each surgery. The pain of going is worse than the treatment.
I just had #4 Oct 16th-surgery and actualy you would not know I even had it after the cath is out for no side affects etc... I because of my job have a 2wk recovery at home vs a desk job or other. Bcg is truly pretty painless at least in my case and being a Female. I wish you well and this web site truly is a god sent for worries to be placed in prespective. [BCG-5 minute proceedure-then 2hour wait to go then bleach for the first few hours bath room} that is it. Live well. Star ;)

17 years 5 months ago #1598 by Scotty
Replied by Scotty on topic BCG Treatment
I had my first of six BCG treatments on Tuesday and everything went fine. I was surprised to see that my doctor injected the BCG and not a nurse. I had most of my prostate removed five years ago so I don't feel to much pain when they put the cathater in. Thanks to all for your incouragement and kindness.
Scotty

17 years 5 months ago #1555 by jhs
Replied by jhs on topic BCG Treatment
Hi Scotty,

I'm a little curious: what is your present staging data? I'm a little surprised, I guess, to hear you going to BCG after having had 5 tumors removed and 3 rounds of chemo. I hope that means you have had low grade tumors and highly aggressive doctors.

As for BCG, I'm 54, just completed my first 6x set of tx with it, and had absolutely no symptoms. No pain during instillation (although some discomfort as the catheter insertion made its way past the prostate), no difficulty retaining the material for two hours, no pain afterward, no tiredness, no fever; no irregularities at all at any point over the 6 weeks. I actually was a little concerned about that, and asked my nurse if the lack of symptoms meant the immunotherapy wasn't having the intended effect on my immune system, but she explained that most people actually don't get any symptoms. So, while I would be prepared for them, I wouldn't be too worried about them, as you have noted from (most of) the other posts here, and I wouldn't set your expectations from the immunotherapy based on your experience with chemo.

Good luck, and please do keep us updated.

17 years 5 months ago #1549 by rentanag
Replied by rentanag on topic BCG Treatment
ImagerBob,

I know how frightening it is to have doctors telling you something, and your not being sure if what they're telling you is the right thing to do. Even though it's a doctor at Vanderbilt you could still get another opinion from another institution, it's not unheard of to do that.  Some patients get three, four, five, or even more until they feel they know the right thing to do.  However in writing that I must also write that you can't jeopardize your health by waiting too long while getting those other opinions.  
I hope you'll keep us updated on what's happening with you, we are interested.  

Lou Graham

17 years 5 months ago #1548 by timb
Replied by timb on topic BCG Treatment
I've experienced BCG and 3 or four maintenance cysles. the thought is worse than the actuality but I did find the symptoms for me increased over time; tiredness mainly. On the whole though I found it entirely manageable. A lot of the documentation I read about it beforehand seemed to overstress some of the symptoms most of which are pretty unlikely. But its good to be aware of them. You'll do fine I reckon.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne