question about pathology

17 years 5 months ago #1558 by amy
Replied by amy on topic question about pathology
Thanks Chris and Wendy

I am feeling a lot better about this. Chris you always seem to remind me that I am nutty! Thank you

Alyssa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 5 months ago #1537 by cta7978
Replied by cta7978 on topic question about pathology
"The lession is noninvasive and focally has inverted growth pattern. The histology has features of a papilloma but there are areas which raise the concern of it being a low grade papillary urothelial carcinoma."

It means they are not even sure it is cancerous. Smile Alyssa, sounds like a great diagnosis. I personally think you worry way too much about your diagnosis as your pathology statistically has a great prognosis.

Chris A.
Diagnosed T1G3 - 3/01/06
37 yo, Seattle, WA

17 years 5 months ago #1513 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic question about pathology
Hi Alyssa,

There are so many types of bladder tumors it's mind boggling. If you want to brush up on some of the terminology, read this review from an expert pathologist:

blcwebcafe.org/synergoworkshop1.asp#vecchio

It also contains some statistics about recurrence and progression on the type of tumor you seem to have that should make you feel a bit better.

I'm not happy your uro is using the I-IV system, as the I-III system is the one that experts are trying to make the standard. That would be simply put as low, intermediate or high risk.

All the best,
Wendy

17 years 5 months ago #1512 by amy
question about pathology was created by amy
Hi everyone!

OK, So in May of 2006 I had surgery to have a bladder tumor removed. The pathology diagnoses stated Papillary transitional cell carcinoma, low grade (2 of 4) non-invasive type with prominent inverted growth pattern. So the uro suggested cysto surveillance. Since I am only 26, non-smoker, I wanted pathology clarification so I made an appointment with UCDavis cancer center. They, in error, scheduled me with a medical oncologist instead of a urologist oncologist so they are trying to get me in with Dr.Devere White. However, they re-read my pathology and this is what the report said:

non invasive papillary neoplasm, please see comment.

Comment: The lession is noninvasive and focally has inverted growth pattern. The histology has features of a papilloma but there are areas which raise the concern of it being a low grade papillary urothelial carcinoma.

What does that mean? They gave me the report but no one has explained it. Does any one have any ideas.

Thanks,
alyssa

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne