two cancers at the same time?

16 years 2 weeks ago #14905 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic two cancers at the same time?
My grandfather had prostate cancer which he ignored and it spread to his bone marrow...but it was the same cancer that had metastasised.
My ex-husband had prostate cancer which was treated and supposedly cured and 3 yrs later he noticed a swollen gland in his neck which was diagnosed as a salivary gland cancer which they said had absolutely nothing to do with his prostate cancer....???..
I get the feeling they don't know everything....??
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 weeks ago #14902 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic two cancers at the same time?
Yes, my husband was diagnosed with CIS in 2001 and in 2006 he was diagnosed with Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS) which is a form of bone marrow cancer. This complicates treatment decisions and he needs two oncologists one a hematologist/oncologist and the urological/oncologist as well as the urologist. For a while we thought the lung nodule might be an original site for lung cancer but it was a metastasis of the BC.
I have no idea how many people are dealing with more than one type of cancer. It may be more common than we know. As I understand it we are overcoming cancer all the time and then something changes and the cancer starts to grow. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 2 weeks ago #14901 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic two cancers at the same time?
Gina,

It does happen. If I am no mistaken there are others on the site too. I believe that one of the members named Holly is dealing with 2 cancers at once. I hope that she chimes in, so you will see that you aren't alone. That is one of the great bi-products of this site, sometimes knowing that there are others out there dealing with the some of the same issues as you is comforting.

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 2 weeks ago #14899 by gina
two cancers at the same time? was created by gina
has anyone ever been diagnosed with one cancer, only to find out they have another someplace else?...when one cancer spreads...but, two totally different cancers?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne