Cystectomy Needed for Recurrences of TA, CIS Non-Invasive BLC?

16 years 4 weeks ago #14908 by ddoyle
I just had my TURBT this morning and am happily sitting here with my catheter, etc. :-\

Good news is that while he did remove a papillary tumor, he didn't actually see CIS ---- however----he did see what he termed dysplasia. At least he didn't feel that cystectomy is called for just yet. Still have to wait for the biopsy results.

This was my fourth TURB in the past eleven months, and all but one involved both papillary and CIS. The only one which did not was six months ago and that one showed what was thought to be dysplasia, and the next TURB just two months later did show CIS, so I am not celebrating just yet.

I did get the doc to consider another round of BCG --- this time diluted to 1/10 or even lower --- as he does not seem to be confident in Mitomycin.

For now, I am guardedly optomistic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 1 month ago #14342 by ddoyle
Patricia:

Thanks for the info on the new treatment. I'll be sure to ask my doc about this; he seems to be ready to do the cystectomy, but this is definitely worth a close look.

Tim and Lauren:

Thanks for the encouragement.

David

16 years 1 month ago #14338 by timb
hope the second turbt goes well david

tim

16 years 1 month ago #14336 by Patricia
David you might find this newest article informative
www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/98675.php

Pat

16 years 1 month ago #14328 by lhpdogs
David,

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Be strong, remain fearless!

Lauren
TaG1
12/06 and 2/08

TaG1 12/05
3 recurrences
BCG started 9/09

16 years 1 month ago #14321 by ddoyle
Tim,

I've read your message four times and it means a great deal to hear from someone who has made this journey. Yes, it is indeed a "lonely place" to be in, facing a decision like this. I don't have to make the decision just yet, as I am going to have to wait until the first week of April to see the biopsy results from my TURBT on 3/28. The presence of CIS,even in non-invasive will definitely weigh heavily on my decision. In the meantime, I'm arranging for a second opinion at M.D. Anderson here in Houston. Thanks again for sharing your experiences and for the encouragement and advice.

David Doyle

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne