FISH Test on urine specimen?

16 years 2 months ago #13597 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic FISH Test on urine specimen?
Hi David,
I found this tucked away on some of my research files - thought you might want to read:
www.clevelandclinic.org/pathology/uploads/TechnicalBriefs-Jan2006-FISHBladderCA.pdf
TechnicalBriefs-Jan2006-FISHBladderCA.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Hopefully this connects - I am not a computer "techie" - if you don't get this let me know and I will copy and send. It is a very good oversight of the FISH test from the Cleveland Clinic.

Nancy
dx 11/06 Ta
dx 0/07 Ta CIS

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13541 by ddoyle
Replied by ddoyle on topic FISH Test on urine specimen?
Nancy,
Thanks for the response --- I should have performed a search before posting, as there is a good deal of info on FISH in the archives. All my previous cytologies have been negative even though I've had multiple recurrences of both papillary and CIS tumors (all non-invasive), so I'm curious what FISH will turn up. Based on your experience only cysto's and TURBT's with tissue biopsies are totally reliable, though. Won't get the FISH results until just before the cysto on 2/29.

David

16 years 2 months ago #13540 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic FISH Test on urine specimen?
Hi David

I had a FISH test last Aug. I found a lot of information on Bladder Cancer Webcafe:
blcwebcafe.org/urinemarkers.asp - It did take a week to get the results. Mine were all clear - however - less that three wks later - I had biopsies that came back Ta CIS. They do say the FISH test shows "aggrestive" cancer - however, I don't put much faith in the test because of my results.
I hope yours is is clear and "spot-on" :)
Please keep me informed what the results are. Good luck!
Nancy S

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

16 years 2 months ago #13531 by ddoyle
FISH Test on urine specimen? was created by ddoyle
Back on 11/30/07 I had my third TURBT plus Mitomycin-C treatment and have since experienced a good deal of moderate hematuria and some clots & tissue sloughing at times (the latter is likely due to a bit of prostate resect to clear an obstruction near a ureter so the doc could get at some tumors there). The doc postponed startup of Mitomycin-C treatments till the inflammation subsides. I went in a couple of weeks ago for a cysto and he said he wanted to do a urine cytology, but then they neglected to send the specimen off. I went in today and left a urine specimen at their request and his nurse told me they are sending it off for a "FISH" test which will take about 10 days or more to get results. I'm due for another cysto on 2/29, after which they will likely commence Mitomycin-C treatments.

Anyone have any experience/advice to pass along on this FISH urine test?

Thanks!

David Doyle

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne