Can I still donate bone marrow?

16 years 1 month ago #13671 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic Can I still donate bone marrow?
Julie, Hi ,I totally agree with you on the donation thread.If the chemistry of my body is so screwed up that I have bladder cancer why in the world would I want to pass on my not so great genes to someone whos immune system will be surpressed for the rest of their life. There are many ways to give the gift of life. I gave my time at a childrens hospital. The kids loved the fact that there was an adult there to play and not hurt them! (I lost every game of checkers I played there!!!) I gave up the idea of donating after I got lymes disease . It was a hard thing to do because my Mom died of leukimia in 1973, today a transplant could of saved her.
Rocky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 1 month ago #13519 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Can I still donate bone marrow?
Zac, personally I would not want a blood transfusion or a bone marrow transplant from someone who had any form of cancer. Bladder cancer may not be considered a blood cancer but my husbands TCC lung tumor seems to have traveled via the blood stream as he has no lymph node involvement. Many people have been told that their cancer was cured when they received a neo bladder only to have the cancer show up in the upper tract or as a metastasis. I don't thing the Dr. and Scientists know enough yet about cancer to say when it is safe to have a transfusion or organ donation.

For people with severe forms of MDS the only possible cure is a bone marrow transplant and I hate to see the number of potential donors reduced but it is not life preserving to add another form of cancer with the bone marrow transplant.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 1 month ago #13517 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Can I still donate bone marrow?
Dear Rosemary,
The test (PPD) is an immunologic test. A positive PPD caused by tuberculosis does imply that the organism remains dormant and walled off in your body (usually the lungs, the site of entry). A positive PPD from BCG, however, shows an immune response to BCG and does not imply the presence of BCG remaining anywhere within the body. The stimulation of an immune response in the bladder is the intended response to BCG treatment. Infection is not the intended, expected, or desired result.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #13515 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Can I still donate bone marrow?
Rosemary--I made an appointment to talk with a nurse there who was familiar with the ins-and-outs of after-cancer donations. You might want to get one of the higher-ups email address and send her your exact BCG concerns so she can investigate it if she isn't already aware of this type of treatment.

Julie--because bladder cancer isn't considered to be a blood cancer, as long as you're cancer-free and a year out of treatment, you should be able to. At least that's how it was explained to me. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Image removed

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 1 month ago #13514 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Can I still donate bone marrow?
I do know there is a desperate need for bone marrow donors. I certainly hope you are still qualified to donate. What I don't know is when they would consider bladder cancer healed. And I agree that it sounds like general cancer speak as Caricinoma in situ in the bladder is considered high grade.

Ro,

If the BCT is contained within the urinary tract most people won't test positive for TB. My husband had a total of 16 BCG treatments and still tested negative last year for TB. BCG is used as a vaccine in other countries and those people who have had the vaccine will react to the TB skin test.
I would guess that one year post BCG might not be sufficient. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 1 month ago #13513 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Can I still donate bone marrow?
My GP at last visit made the statement, "The BCG should be out of your system by now." This confused me a little. Isn't BCG the gift that keeps on giving???

Just thoughts....

Ro

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne