High PSA/Prostate Biopsy

16 years 2 months ago #13247 by laubsman
Replied by laubsman on topic High PSA/Prostate Biopsy
Thanks to all of you. Warren, Ross and my other friends. My doctor was concerned about the "spike" from a previous 2.4 then to a 4.7 and 4.0. The 4.7 was immediately (within an hour) of my cystoscopy and the 4.0 was a week later. I too feel, albeit I am not a physician, that the instrumentation must effect the PSA as does BCG. I had BCG on October 2, 2007 three months previous to the PSA on January 17th.

My doctor said that I have a substantial prostate and BPH. My prostate is 45 grams a normal gland is approximately 20 Grms. He still wants to do a biopsy. I would appreciate some advice.

Jack

PS: Thanks gals for commenting on Guyz stuff!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13239 by michstate89
Replied by michstate89 on topic High PSA/Prostate Biopsy
Jack,

Did you have a regular prostate exam before the BCG? Does your urologist feel any nodules now? My psa was normal before BCG then went up. I had no nodules before BCG, but had one form after. I also had a positive FISH test, but negative cysto. The recommendation was to eliminate any other forms of cancer, so I went ahead with a biopsy, which was negative (in addition to the ureters and renal cavities). The prostate biopsy for me was not any worse than a TURB. I am on maintenance BCG and my psa has been dropping since that first high mark. My urologist believes it is non-symptomatic prostitis. I hope this information helps you make a decision or at least gives you some other questions to ask.

Ross

Ross M
TaG1 March 06
Recurrence Jan 07
BCG Maintenance after 6 week treatment

16 years 2 months ago #13235 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic High PSA/Prostate Biopsy
Dear Jack,
My urologist always said not to do the PSA after the cystocopy as that would affect the results. The cystoscope has to pass through the prostate through the prostatic urethra to get into the bladder. That is, no doubt, the most difficult and uncomfortable part of the cystoscopy so it shouldn't come as a surprise that the PSA would be affected.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 2 months ago #13232 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic High PSA/Prostate Biopsy
Hi Jack,

Sorry to hear that you are facing another challenge...

Here is alittle information for you that you many find intersting and helpful. Although I was Pooh-poohed on this board in previous posts regarding the use of Pomegranate juice. I still see no problem with just drinking it daily as recommended...the studies show promise for PSA levels...I suggest using it. It can only help...even if the PSA levels don't go down, you are still getting a serving of fruit that you need anyway...

Here is a link, there are many more if you google "Pomegranate PSA":

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/07/060702084515.htm

Good thoughts headed your way,

.·:*¨¨*:·.Karen.·:*¨¨*:·.

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 2 months ago #13230 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic High PSA/Prostate Biopsy
Well here's one study from Israel...9th topic down on BCG and PSA levels....
www.prostatitis.org/aua2000abstracts.html
Pat

16 years 2 months ago #13229 by laubsman
High PSA/Prostate Biopsy was created by laubsman
Hello Folks;

Well, I guess I spoke to soon. My PSA went up from 2.4 to 4.7 after my last cysto. A week later on a retest the PSA went down from 4.7 to 4.0. My urologist is concerned with the spike and wants to do a prostate biopsy. I had BCG in October and don't know how long the BCG influences the PSA value. Tough to manage prostate and bladder cancer. A little respite would be nice. Any thoughts? Oh, I took the PSA 1-1/2 hours after the cysto.

Jack
(Laubsman)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne