Familial Bladder Cancer?

16 years 2 months ago #12705 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
For what it's worth, my father died from bladder cancer four years ago during the time that I was being treated. His illness was much more advanced when it presented but, still, I think it had a part to play in my cystectomy decision. My doc said their was no hereditary link known.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #12700 by driscolls
Replied by driscolls on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
Gman,
Thanks for the info on bladder cancer and heredity. I certainly plan on doing more research as this is very worrisome to me.

Also, please know I will keep you in my prayers. I hate this dreadful disease, but such much can be done to keep it contained. Follow your gut feelings and stay strong!

Debi

16 years 2 months ago #12699 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
Well actually i meant you and your brother as one and Carolyn the nurse who just got her neobladder from Dr. Koch in Indianapolis...she has an identical twin sister.
That is a rather good name for that gene!! Pat

16 years 2 months ago #12696 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
Dear Rosemary,
Oops! :-[ And I tried to get the link right so it would make things easier :P, but the other article was good too.
Not raining on LI today, but not so nice.
-Warren

Dear Pat,
Another set of twins here? How did I miss that? I always enjoy comparing notes with other twins.
-Warren

P.S.: My niece & my brother had another fun name for the MTHFR gene. Use your imagination because I can't put it on a public forum.
P.P.S.: The MTHFR gene had us worried, but the baby is just fine - 6 months old and adorable.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 2 months ago #12688 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
What i find interesting is that i have now seen two sets of identical twins on this forum..of which..only one of the twins has bladder cancer in each case.....obviously they have the identical genetic make-up but environmental differences....so is anybody studying identical twins? Pat

16 years 2 months ago #12687 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
I just noticed the word "stongly" in the following quote from the referenced link...I wonder why this isn't talked about/researched a little more???

Our results [glow=red,2,300]strongly[/glow] suggest that polymorphisms of the MTHFR and MS genes act together with low folate intake and smoking to increase bladder cancer risk. These results have important implications for cancer prevention in susceptible populations

carcin.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/25/9/1639

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne