Familial Bladder Cancer?

16 years 2 months ago #12686 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
Actually, it was here...

carcin.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/25/9/1639

I guess I didn't read the fine print.....I still don't understand it...

It would be interesting, Warren, to find out if you have the gene....

It's dreary here today. I hope it's sunnier on LI.

Buds,
Ro

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #12685 by Rosemary
Interesting!! Thanks....

Ro

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

16 years 2 months ago #12684 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
Don't know much about it. It was in the article about polymorphisms of folate metabolism genes that you refered to at www.emedicine.com/med/topic2344.htm
It's apparently tested for in pregnancy because folate helps prevent neural tube defects and having the gene makes your folate requirement higher. Since the article said it was a risk factor for cancer, and since my niece carries it, I couldn't help but wonder if she got it from her mother or my twin (which would mean I have it).

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 2 months ago #12683 by Rosemary
Warren,

Can you please clarify for me which gene is the MTHFR???

Thanks ever so much!

Ro

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

16 years 2 months ago #12681 by Rosemary
Warren,

8 years before my Dx I went to the Uro because of gross hematuria. (One day as I was urinating I was shocked to see a pure stream of blood going into the toilet.) The Uro performed a clean catch urine by catherization, and told me that the blood was not coming from my bladder. That is the only test he performed on me. 8 years later I was Dx'd with multiple tumors.

Nancy,

You seem to be proving Dr. Lamm's hypothesis of 17 years to Bladder Cancer to be accurate. There is a thread on that subject in the Awareness and Advocacy Section.

Ro

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

16 years 2 months ago #12679 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
I find this discussion most interesting. 8 years before my diagnosis of bladder cancer I started seeing a urologist because of microscopic hematuria and minor bladder symptoms. I asked for a cystoscopy because I knew my father had had annual cystoscopies for follow up of a bladder polyp. I've seen his bopsy report. It was benign. My father was a heavy smoker for 20 years and then quit.
My identical twin smoked a bit when we were younger and his wife still smokes. We know his daughter has the MTHFR gene because it was tested for by her OB during her pregnancy. We don't know which side of her family carries it, but if it came from my twin, I have it too. My twin has not had bladder cancer. He had a cystoscopy after I was diagnosed.
I don't know if I have the MTHFR gene. I don't take any vitmin supplements, but my diet has always included a healthy portion of fruits and vegetables. I took 2 puffs on a cigarette in my teens, and 1 puff on a cigar in my 20s. I'm hard pressed to come up with any other risk factors besides living on Long Island.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne