Familial Bladder Cancer?

16 years 2 months ago #12779 by annec
Replied by annec on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
Warren

Thanks for that- as I thought it's high in some veg- love asparagus, and get quite a bit of what's on those lists, but it looks like I might need to up the bean intake! Hmmm. ::)

Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #12738 by Rosie
Replied by Rosie on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
This is a very interesting discussion. I remember, a couple years ago reading about a certain gene in family members AND if they are also smokers a corralation for bladder cancer has a high possibility of occurring. I have alerted my four younger brothers who are smokers to have their urine tested since their older sister (me)has had superficial papillary bladder cancer. Since Rosemary's posting of the gene and Warren's comments on the subject I did a search on Yahoo and learned that gene can be the cause of all types of diseases. As far as folate is concerned, the current recommendation is for 400 units but my daughter who is a Registered, Licensed Dietician and others in that nutrition category say the intake should be a minimum of 800 daily. Here is the website that shows lots of different diseased attributed to that MTFHR gene.
www.ihop-net.org/UniPub/iHOP/bng/90334.html?list=0 Rosie

16 years 2 months ago #12736 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
Thanks for the link - I do eat a healthy diet, but have wondered if I should take a supplement while fighting Bladder Cancer. I am sure I get the daily dose with my diet, but still pondering adding more. ???

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

16 years 2 months ago #12732 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
Dear Anne,
Folate and folic acid are the same thing. Check the information at
ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5553.html and
grove.ufl.edu/~folic/info/folatesources.html
for more information.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 2 months ago #12719 by annec
Replied by annec on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
Can anyone shed some light on the "folate intake" mentioned- it seems from what has been quoted that if it is familial in your family, than an increased folate intake would be a good idea. Is this the same as folic acid? and what can it be found in naturally? Green leafy veg?

Anne

16 years 2 months ago #12707 by fearandfight
Replied by fearandfight on topic Familial Bladder Cancer?
Well if it is hereditary then I am the first in my family tree to start it. I don't believe BC is hereditary just unlucky to get. Cheers, Joe ;)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne