Radiation During Chemo Treatment??

16 years 5 months ago #9908 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Radiation During Chemo Treatment??
Hi Elsie,

Geezo, foot mets. That's a weird one. I hope the radiation keeps it away for good.
Wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #9896 by elsie2
Replied by elsie2 on topic Radiation During Chemo Treatment??
After my bladder cancer had metasized to the foot, I know ,they say this is very unusual, I began radiation to the foot and abdominal area with Xeloda chemo pills at the same time. I hope this does the job for a while. I don't think I could ever handle the infusion type chemo again.

16 years 6 months ago #9035 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Radiation During Chemo Treatment??
Dear Karen,

Radiation to bone mets is a different type of treatment than the chemo+radiation protocol that is meant to save the bladder and avoid cystectomy. It's less strong and more directed to the site of metastasis, not the bladder. It's not painful and in fact is very good against bone pain and is very commonly used in this setting, doesn't usually make a person sicker, nor will the treatments be given long enough to cause burning or other side effects like fatigue.

I'm sorry to hear your husband needs it, but I'm hopeful that it could really help.

Please keep us posted.
Wendy

16 years 6 months ago #8981 by Clara
Replied by Clara on topic Radiation During Chemo Treatment??
Karen,
Chemo and radiation together had been mentioned before Bob had the radiation to the pelvic area but then the dr. decided to just to with the radiation. Bob is older than your husband and did not tolerate chemo very well; also, it probably only kept his tumors from growing but did not shrink them.

Both times that Bob had radiation, it was only 10 treatments. First to the pelvic area and a left rib. Next 10 to lower back and a right rib.
I think it depends on the individual whether they can handle both at one time or not. I have know others who did have both at the same time.

Clara

Caretaker of husband, Bob.
Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

16 years 6 months ago #8972 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Radiation During Chemo Treatment??
Karen I think #2 answers that but if wanna make sure this is a simple enough question for any Oncologist. Joe

16 years 6 months ago #8971 by cathy
Replied by cathy on topic Radiation During Chemo Treatment??
Hi Karen, a friend of ours has bowel cancer with node involement, today he finishes his first 5.5 weeks of chemo & radiation, he has been having the radiation for 5 days a week in this time.
As you know we are in Australia so I cant answer your question about insurance. All I know is you can be treated with both together at the same time.
Hope this helps.
Cathy.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne