Chemo Update part deux

16 years 5 months ago #8700 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Chemo Update part deux
Karen wrote:
> If it wasn't for the side effects of the chemo...I wouldn't feel like I had cancer, Stage IV! <

Boy, we've heard that before!

>The percentages are all over the place as far as survival rates. Someone has to be in those small ones of cure and prolonged remission...it might as well be us, right???
<

Agree totally. I once read that there is a small percentage of people with advanced cancer that survive more than 5 years...without any treatment at all

>I just read the book..Anatomy of an Illness from the Perspective of the Patient. It is by Norman Cousins. I<> It has been a godsend and free!
<

Have a look at this one:
www.commonweal.org/pubs/choices-healing.html
I found it very comforting when my sister was dying from breast cancer, again when my other sister got bladder cancer (blc) and also after my own bc diagnosis.

>Go to www.carepages.com my page is called Elliespage. You have to register the first time. It might be something you'd be interested in developing if you haven't already!The best to you and keep living and loving!!!
<

I just wanted to let everyone know that WebCafe is going to be upgraded, including this forum, which will be getting more options; We will be featuring much the same functions as carepages, careplace or other blogging sites. We're working on this now.

We will be able to bring our art gallery over to this part of the community and let people edit their own pages, among other things.

It's funny...the 'interactive storyboard' section of WebCafe grew into its own forum (this), now soon our art gallery and community at large will be able expand itself into 'who knows what'!

Wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #8593 by emom
Replied by emom on topic Chemo Update part deux
I think it is great that things are going so well, except for the bone pain. As for prognosis...know what I say? No one should procalim prognosis because only the Big Guy knows for sure. I was told 8-18 months! I am into my then end of my fifth cycle of Cisplatin and gemzar. If it wasn't for the side effects of the chemo...I wouldn't feel like I had cancer, Stage IV! The percentages are all over the place as far as survival rates. Someone has to be in those small ones of cure and prolonged remission...it might as well be us, right???

I just read the book..Anatomy of an Illness from the Perspective of the Patient. It is by Norman Cousins. It is an older book, but I found it very encouraging about how we actually control so much of our healing or lack of it. If you like to read, it's an easy read and I sure enjoyed it. Wish I would have read it at the start of my little journey.

I couldn't get thru this if it weren't for the love and support of a lot of great people...family, friends, colleagues. I also have this great website that I have a page on to keep every one up on what's happening with me. The hardest part for me at first was telling the saga over and over...it was depressing me. Now I just keep the world informed on my web page . It has been a godsend and free!
Go to www.carepages.com my page is called Elliespage. You have to register the first time. It might be something you'd be interested in developing if you haven't already!

The best to you and keep living and loving!!!

16 years 5 months ago #8418 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Chemo Update part deux
Thanks Claire,

I am feeling more positive these days. Not that we are going to beat this cancer (although it is my greatest hope) but that everyday needs to be lived to its fullest. We shouldn't wait until something happens, we should always remember to say "I Love You", stop to answer the childrens questions (even if they asked 100x's before). Smile at nature, and a beautiful day, and be thankful we have another day to share together.

We are thankful for days when the pain isn't "too" bad, for our beautiful children, and granddaughter,late-nite movies, new photos,laughter, good food, good friends, comedy... whatever your passion is embrace it and enjoy it. None of us know when one of our loved ones will no longer be there. It doesn't have to be cancer, it could be anything that takes someone from you.

I am not sure how many great days we have left. I know I will probably be posting on days when things aren't so great, but today.....today is good!!!

Thanks for reading,listening,& caring
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 6 months ago #8413 by clur
Replied by clur on topic Chemo Update part deux
Hi Karen
Its great to read such a fantastic positive post from you.My friends husband uses morphine patches for pain relief from a road accident injury and finds them a great relief he has no problems with side effects drives,works functions as normally as he ever does lol.It might be worth asking as they cover the whole body he wears them on his arm for a foot injury.
Lets hope your husband continues to do well on his chemo and the dating just keeps getting better.
Love Claire x

16 years 6 months ago #8410 by momof4
Chemo Update part deux was created by momof4
Ok well we made it through round 2 and no KO. A few Knock downs but we are still on track. The worst part about this cancer for my husband is the spread. His bladder is functioning beautifully (with the help of the Urelle). His bones, that is where the pain is. We just started a new prescription called "Lidoderm". They are patches for pain relief. They seem to be helping quite a bit. I mentioned in earlier posts that my husband is not fond of the disconnected feeling he gets from pain meds. He would honestly rather be in pain. These patches (hopefully they will continue to work) seem to be the temporary answer, next week we will have to probably find something else if the pain is too severe in more that one place. The patches works (or are supposed to) for 12 hours. It can only be applied to one area at a time, although they can be cut in half and put in two places. I also started him on Glucosamine/Chondroiton, and Omega-3. I don't know if they will do anything but it can't hurt as they are small doses of each, and yes, we checked with the doctor. He also takes Centrum for men.

We have been drinking alot of Green Tea, and POM juice, Eating better, etc...All in hopes of extending his life for as long as possible. I think that is very important. To try to maintain a sense of living not just: Hey F-it he's dying...Of course if he wants a ice cream sunday, cookies, soda,or fast food I am the first one to jump and get him whatever he wants too.

On a good note we cannot keep our hands off each other. I feel like we are dating! Thats why my picture changed, He always said I remind him of Jessica Rabbit, now I feel like her...

All in all, he has withstood this Chemo remarkable well, even the Dr.s are commenting on it. He walks in, has great color, all of his hair, and still a spring in his step. His blood count has been great, kidney fuction great...No nausea (or as my aunt calls it "Nassau"),he is maintaining his weigh to between 2-3 lbs (as normal) He has a wonderful appetite, and has not lost the tastebuds as I have read about. Like I said earlier it is really the Bone pain that bothers him more than anything. We were going through tubes and tubes of Icy hot, ben gay, capsasin,Heating pads,ice...you name it.

Any suggestions about the bone pain would be greatly appreciated.

For now, we are going to try to forget cancer for two weeks!

I hope you are all having a great day. I plan to!

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne