There is hope - even with stage 4 bladder cancer

16 years 7 months ago #7081 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic There is hope - even with stage 4 bladder cancer
Christine, Your story inspires me, my husband stage 3 T-2 will have his bladder out 3rd week in August, we have had 2 biopsy's all the cat scans bone scans,,its been 4 months of hell, its in our life for good now, I am scared of the journey were taking. I picture him leaving me to go into surgery, and seeing him comeback with all the stuff. Yes we have 6 couples that have been friends for 25 years now, they want to see us on their terms, but not to just drop by, Gene is home of course, had his 2nd biopsy July 31rst at the Cleveland Clinic, no cancer elsewhere thank God..at least so far, but now I see in others stories the path report from the surgery remains..I just need the strengh it takes but it is sometimes hard to find, and I am not the one with the cancer....pray for me as I will need guidence.
Ginger Beane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 10 months ago #5486 by lmh22553
Christine,

I am so sorry to read about your husband; it sounds as though he went through a lot and that he was a strong person.

My husband also passed away from metastic bladder cancer a year ago. His cancer went to his left lung and caused

all sorts of problems after three chest surgeries.

Like you, I am baffled as to why this disease is not at the forefront, but I think it MAY have to do with the fact that

no one influential (except for a Vice President whose name escapes me...Hubert Humphrey, I think) has this type of

cancer, so it's not lobbied for in the way that some cancers are; and my husband's urologist also told me that most

people who get bladder cancer are older -- in their 70s and 80s. Although my husband was young like yours and this

Forum has a lot of younger bladder cancer patients, so I do not know how true that info is.

I hope your memories are of comfort to you during this difficult time.

Leigh

16 years 11 months ago #5061 by sstephenson
Replied by sstephenson on topic There is hope - even with stage 4 bladder cancer
Hi Christine,

I've just jumped back on since January 06. Your story is truely inspirational. Our family is hoping to be on the same road of hope.

Good luck to you both - stay strong.

Sara ;)

16 years 11 months ago #5012 by ChristineC
Replied by ChristineC on topic There is hope - even with stage 4 bladder cancer
Hello All - It's been almost a year since I posted on this website. My husband of 19 years lost the battle with metastatic bladder cancer. I had so prayed & hoped we could manage this terrible disease so he could have more time on Earth here with me. He fought valiantly & never gave in. He overcame a metastatic brain tumor & stroke last February and was recovering nicely.

More tumor was found in his bladder this past fall, along with very small nodules in his lungs & he began a regimen of Taxol, which took it's toll on him. March 5, 2007 he went to the hospital with difficulty in breathing. A liter and a half of fluid was drained & we were told that chemo & surgery were no longer viable options. He came home on March 13 but had to go back to the hospital on March 16 because of breathing difficulty.

We hoped that a chest tube would be inserted so we could drain the fluid at home but by March 21, it was determined that there was no fluid - it was all tumor in both lungs. I was told he had 2 hours - 2 days to live. My beloved Lonnie passed away Thursday morning, March 22, 2007 at the age of 46.

I hate cancer and what it does to life - such a beautiful life gone too soon. Bladder cancer is #5 for men in the US - why is there so little research being done & so few options? Too many people don't know anything about it & there is no exposure so that a focus can be made on treatments. Of course, we knew all along there would be no cure for him but the unpredictable nature of this dreaded disease is devastating and my life will never be the same.

God Bless you all with your journey in life & I pray that you find the solutions to beat your cancer.

17 years 10 months ago #492 by ChristineC
Replied by ChristineC on topic There is hope - even with stage 4 bladder cancer
Jeff, thank you for the prayers & comments. I do feel that our story has been one of encouragement thus far.

In fact, we received the good news that we prayed for yesterday. The results of the MRI showed that nearly every lesion on my husband's brain has been resolved or shrunk significantly. There is only one area that the dr. thinks is an area of protein concentration or old blood. He was very impressed with Lonnie's results & we only have to have another MRI in one month to make sure that area does not get bigger. No more radiation at this point!

We are now investigating the use of Iscador (a mistletoe derivative) in conjuntion with his chemo - it has an immunological effect, inhibits tumor growth, reduces unwanted side effects of chemo & radiation & reduces the risk of recurrences & metastases. A month's treatment runs about $150 & is sent to your doctor from Germany. We plan to discuss it with the oncologist this coming week.

If anyone is interested, you can check out more info at: www.weleda.com or www.iscador.com

17 years 10 months ago #491 by mildew
Hi Christine

What a wonderful story of courage and love you have given us. Your husband obviously has a very strong constitution and is extremely lucky to have someone such as you to support him and help him through the tough times. Stay positive and never give up. You will beat this together. Prayers for you both.

Jeff :D

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne